Motorbike stolen on Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 15 June 2005 5.53pm
Husband could not believe his eyes. A van drove up to The Ship (ex pub, now offices) on Long Lane early this afternoon. Three men got out, opened the side door of the van and picked up a big motorbike (not scooter/moped - a really big one) parked on pavement, loaded into the van and drove off. The bike alarm went off and the owner came dashing out but he was too late to stop it disappearing. Stood there in disbelief also ...

Seems pretty obvious that it was planned and I guess that when motorbikes (of any size/cc) are parked, they aren't generally locked to anything ... maybe they should be if stealing them is that easy ...
Thursday 16 June 2005 7.50am

Not too long ago a friend of mine had his van stolen in Portland St. He got it back the same day when a member of the public called the Police to report three men loading a motorbike into a van! Yes, they had stolen the van to help them in their efforts to steal motorbikes. A good example of keeping your overheads down.

Thursday 16 June 2005 8.18am
Gosh, we're all in the wrong business. Beats working! I'm gobsmacked at the sheer audacity of these people. ANd they hardly ever get caught which is even gobsmacking-er.
Thursday 16 June 2005 9.05am
It's fairly common Julie. Especially for the bigger, rarer, supersporty bikes. They're often worth a similar amount (or sometimes a greater amount) when broken down for parts. Freezer vans are favoured, because the insulation keeps down the sound from any alarm.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 16 June 2005 9.27am
May one inquire, Ivanhoe, how you are such an expert in these matters?
Thursday 16 June 2005 9.45am
Can we see receipts for the Ivanhoe households modes of transportation?

And do you hire out your van?

Anyway, can't believe it happens so openly in the middle of the day ...
Thursday 16 June 2005 10.49am
Jackie - I was told that by a policeman when I did a Bikesafe course ( I think. No connection, but it's a fantastic day's training for something like 30 and you get to ride around London with a bike copper. Great for encouraging traffic to move over and let you pass ;0))

Thursday 16 June 2005 3.10pm
How much do these flipping bikes weigh?
Thursday 16 June 2005 3.12pm
A lot Jan, but a common method is to use two scaffolding poles or similar and to put one through each wheel, giving a handy lifting device.

Edited to say: roughly anything between 100 and 200 kilos, with most being about 125kg I think

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16 June 2005 3.14pm by Ivanhoe.
Thursday 16 June 2005 3.31pm
That's a relief! Mine's 230kg so with a bit of luck it would be too much agro for a thief...especially with me on it ;-)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: