Ministry of Sound (and rubbish)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 16 June 2005 7.53am
All

Can anyone tell me why there are hundreds of what look like beer mats ( carrying some sort of Ministry of Sound offer) scattered along Tanner Street. Is this a local promotion?

Niall
Thursday 23 June 2005 9.07am
Niall Connolly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All
>
> Can anyone tell me why there are hundreds of what
> look like beer mats ( carrying some sort of
> Ministry of Sound offer) scattered along Tanner
> Street. Is this a local promotion?
>
> Niall

They're flyers given out at the end of clubnights.

I've always wanted to flypost the ministry of sound offices in Gaunt Street, and see how they like a taste of their own medicine.
Thursday 23 June 2005 9.28am
jlr

What made me curious is why so much of this stuff should have ended up in Tanner Street in the first place. Southwark Council's Environment Inspectors opened the bags, found the material, recorded it, tagged the bags and left them on the street (where they were subsequently kicked over by a drunk, spreading the rubbish far and wide).

I did a couple of photographs of the mess and sent them to both the Ministry of Sound and to Southwark. Southwark replied that the matter was being "looked into" and I haven't heard a thing from the Ministry of Sound.

The underlying problem is that, with a mixed local economy (commercial and residential side by side) rubbish collection schedules are not very well defined. Commercial collections seem to happen daily, sometimes twice or three times, on Bermondsey St and a lot of residents think that those same collections apply to domestic rubbish. Unfortunately this isn't the case with the result that black bags are always (mostly) collected on a Monday but they are also collected on other days (without any official schedule).

Then the Environment Inspectors swoop down and start opening bags and slapping 'Envirocrime scene' stickers on everything in sight. All of which leaves most people confused. Then there is the recycling box situation where passersby use our recycling box as a place to dump their rubbish.

Enough already! I must stop talking rubbish, I could go on all day.

Regards

Niall
Thursday 23 June 2005 9.35am
Try living in switzerland, where the garbage police go through your rubbish looking for stuff you haven't recycled.

Westminster seem to run their rubbish collection very well, there are signs on lampposts telling people when the collection is coming and when to put out their rubbish.
Thursday 23 June 2005 3.32pm
jlr

A sign on a lamppost - what a brilliantly hi-tech solution. Now all we need is a management consultant from that well known firm of 'Snout in the Trough' to suggest it to our local authority.

Niall
Thursday 23 June 2005 4.19pm
Yep, here in metro central they will only empty our garbage compactor once a week, so we have to pay for an additional collection, and probably soon a third.

It's a disgrace as it only takes them 5 mins to load up the dust cart, whereas it would take at least a couple of hours to empty 424 seperate wheelie bins.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: