Southwark Green grants

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 22 June 2005 9.23pm
Having started everyone on recycling, I'll move on to grants.

I read that the EDF energy is going to make available from the end of this month a box of vouchers for 20, these will be worth 750 towards cavity wall insulation, loft insulation etc.

I'm hoping to leave my flat shortly (from which recycling is not collected) and move to a house. What is peoples' experience with getting grants from Southwark to make your home more energy efficient? My Dad got his house cavity wall insulated for 70 cos the council grant (from Waverley Council) paid for most of it.

I've a dream of getting solar panels for my hot water. I've a very long term dream involving reed beds, but I think I will have to leave London for that one!
Wednesday 22 June 2005 11.00pm
Try these people, David:

http://www.solarforlondon.org/
Thursday 23 June 2005 8.49am
David

I'd recommend you to look at this site which may be a template for your project:

http://yellowhouse.showcase.commedia.org.uk/about/about1.html

Until building regulations in this country are changed to force builders to build efficient buildings, owners will be forced to retro-fit insulation and energy saving features. Retro-fitting is, demonstrably, the most expensive way of achieving savings but because of 'property insanity' it seems relatively inexpensive (for us, not for the planet).

Insulation, allied to ventilation, is the simplest and lowest-tech method of gaining efficiency and making savings. Solar panels, photovoltaics, geothermal, reeddbeds, poo farms, wind turbines and all the rest can only be justified if the expenditure is made at the build stage and even then payback period makes the investment of doubtful benefit (until oil reaches $100 a barrel that is).

Best wishes.

Niall Connolly

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: