Newspaper kiosk St Georges Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 22 June 2005 9.52pm
Has the world gone mad? If any of you know the newspaper kiosk at the bottom of St Georges Road, I just heard the other day that the council are now trying to force it to close at 5pm. The kiosk is run by the most delightful family who are a great asset to the local community. They keep an eye out for all the old and vulnerable people in the area and are unfailingly kind and helpful not to mention being the only 'corner shop' in the area where you can buy a pint of milk or a packet of biscuits without crossing the roundabout into the Elephant centre. I would argue that the presence of the stallholder acts as a deterrent to petty crime and also enhances the safety of the local area. A lot of this man's business comes from people buying papers, sweets etc on their way home. Now he is being forced to close at the ridiculously early hour of 5pm so that he 'does not have an unfair advantage over other local stallholders'. According to the council all the stalls around the E&C are supposed to close at 5pm. Needless to say, the ones around the Elephant centre selling dodgy clothes, videos and noxious substances appear to be ignoring these new regs while this kind, hard working man who is only trying to make an honest living for his family is being penalised because he is obeying the new rules. We hear all the time in the right wing press about immigrants and refugees being scroungers and abusing the social security system. It pains me to see someone working so desperately hard and then being penalised for their efforts. How many of the local wide boys would be prepared to put in the hours that many of these supposedly sponging immigrants do? I have rung the council and signed a petition to try to help but it seems that all this is being ignored. If anyone else would like to call the council on his behalf I am sure he would be very grateful. Unfortunately I have lost the scrap of paper with the relevant number on it!
Thursday 23 June 2005 5.25am
Well, I'm sure you can get the relevant number again, and also the email of the department (it's always : bloggs@southwark.gov.uk). I wont CALL, since I'm in Tel Aviv at the moment, but I'll certainly email. Oh God, COUNCILS. They always go for the easy target. Get them to face off the guys in the market stalls and they run scared.
Sal
Thursday 23 June 2005 6.57am
I agree with Beverly, I've lived in Elephant and Castle28 years and there has alway's been a stall selling papers etc. They are a lovely family, they are trying to make a living the right way and still being penalised for doing so. I think Southwark make up the rules as they go along. Maybe they should walk around the stalls out side the centre, half of them have not even got licenses to trade.
Thursday 23 June 2005 8.03am
This is a disgrace, there is no other stallholder who sells the same stuff as him so what's the problem?

It's not a busy area (certainly compared to the market), so I think they need to stay open longer in order to make enough money. Especially as most people won't get back from work until after 5:30.

Perhaps the council should take a look at the other stalls selling fake merchandise and pirate DVD's.
Jac
Thursday 23 June 2005 9.10am
Beverly do try find out the name of the appropriate person at Southwark to speak to and post it on the forum, that way it is easier for other forum members to make time to call or email them rather than each indiviuallly having to find the time to go round the houses to find out themselves. Which ineveitably happens unless you know who you need to speak to in the first place.

If you can pass on the name I am sure you will get many more people willing to help.
Thursday 23 June 2005 9.17am
This is also happening to one of the shops on TBR - don't know name - but it's the one that sells fresh fruit and veg on the pavement and yummy greek/turkish stuff inside ...
Thursday 23 June 2005 9.55am
If the council rep.who decided to force this business to close at 5pm gets out of his office he would see the hundreds of people coming home from work, getting on and off buses at the ridiculously late hour of 10pm.....

We need to encourage this type of business to stay in this area, not make it impossible for people to make an honest living...especially as was mention earlier the other types of ' living' to be found in this area.

ask the people at the bus stops when they are hot and thirsty and want to read a paper on the way home if they want this kiosk to close....

Thursday 23 June 2005 10.11am
I've sent the link to this thread to the Southwark News in the hope that they might look into it, too.
Thursday 23 June 2005 10.31am
Are we talking about the shop on the side of the tube station? If so, why are the council even having a say here, given it's possible to walk inside it just like any other shop? Or am I getting confused with something else?
Thursday 23 June 2005 10.42am
Yes, I'm confused too, is it the teeny tiny shop next to the tube and the teeny tiny caff?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: