Light at the End of the Tunnel

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 24 June 2005 5.50pm
The last day of the exhibition of competition winnners is tomorrow Saturday 25 June from 10am to 3pm at:
Viaduct Arch 27, Wootton Street, London SE1 8LY (thats the arches underneath Waterloo East station platforms accessible from Cornwall Road or Windmill Walk)

I popped in this lunchtime and found it a bit of a mixed bag. I really liked the second prize winner with the arches closed by "dynamic low-pressure inflatable structures".

Bermondseyites may be interested in the various ideas for the arches north of Crucifix Lane, which included the winning entry with its "linear park" under the arches - dependent on plant species that can tolerate low light levels. Whether the actual development of the site will look anything like this is a moot point - I certainly can't envisage the troglodyte live/work units getting past the planners.

One point of trivia/pedantry (couldn't resist!):

The exhibition panels at the entrance claims that Meopham Street is the only road in SE1 that allows you to cross from the hinterland of the South Bank to the River Thames without passing under the viaducts. Whoever wrote this forgot that there is still the second bridge over Waterloo Road fifty years south of Meopham Street.

Until ten years ago this bridge was the pedestrian access to Waterloo East from the main station concourse, (I well remember dodging speeding cabs!) but it was actually built as part of the original Waterloo Junction Station in the days when South Eastern Railway trains could run directly from London Bridge to Clapham Junction across the concourse of the main station. It was hardly ever used - although it is mentioned in HG Wells' War of the Worlds as the route by which troops were deployed to reach the Martian landing site.

Not many people know that!

[I have no connection to Cross River Partnership]
Friday 24 June 2005 6.32pm
>still the second bridge over Waterloo Road fifty years south of Meopham Street

Gracious! Really???
Saturday 25 June 2005 5.57am
Oh, Mapmaker, what do you understand about light years in feet? You really should swot up more. And I found that a rather charming metaphor Rabbie and decided to adopt it. It may, of course, be a mistake, but knowing Rabbie's erudition I doubt it. Oh dear, this is NOT the time to be away from London the exhibition sounds really interesting.
Monday 27 June 2005 9.42am
jackie rokotnitz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It may, of course, be a mistake, but knowing
> Rabbie's erudition I doubt it.

Thanks for your confidence, but as Seneca said:

Nemo sine vitio est
Monday 27 June 2005 9.54am
And Seneca bloody KNEW!!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: