WANTED: Van Rental

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 27 June 2005 9.39am
Can anyone recommend a reliable, cheap van rental company in SE1?

Monday 27 June 2005 9.45am
Try Carpoint, 69 Borough Road, but even cheaper is Thrifty on TBR at the Tower Bridge end on right (as you look towards the bridge)
Monday 27 June 2005 1.39pm
we hired a v cheap van to get the cider apples last year. Blake/Bloke/Biro did it, and I'm sure it was local (?TBR area?). Maybe you can pm them and find out the details. I just remember it was a really good deal (and that we got a diesel van which meant that fuel to The Forest of Dean and back was cheap too). Sorry I can't help more.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 27 June 2005 3.56pm
I've used the london transit van center, on old kent rd, just by the drive in kfc, and they're pretty good.

I have not connection etc etc
Monday 27 June 2005 4.31pm
I believe we hired the Applemobile from Thrifty on TBR.
Tuesday 28 June 2005 3.25pm
Truckpoint/Carpoint as mentioned have the great advantage that they don't mind the odd scratch on your van. They own their own vans and accept that a fact of London driving life is an odd scratch.

You will have to pay the Congestion Charge. (But hey, don't be so selfish. You could use a shopping trolley or your bicycle. TvFIC.)
Monday 4 July 2005 1.08pm
1van1.com on druid street.. i got a long wheeled based van for the weekend at 70! very cheap.. they wanted 90 but since it was friday & it would just sit there for the weekend, they let me have it!

clean van, 54 plate... very easy & comfy to drive..
Wednesday 6 July 2005 3.54am
I used thrifty a couple of times and carpoint once when I lived in SE1, both were fine.

However never ever EVER use Astor Van Hire (they're not in SE1, they're in Bow). I once used them when desperate because another company I booked with had their vehicle returned crashed, and Astor were the only company that had something available at short notice. Much grief ensued with this disastrous hire -- including being stopped and arrested for driving without a current tax disc, the handbrake not working, and the whole heap breaking down and not being covered by the AA as they had claimed... and me having severe humour failure.

So always check the tax disc on any vehicle you hire as well as any damage that's already there. I never even thought of this until I found out the hard way!

And another thing with vehicle hire -- I would recommend booking on credit card because if the cost is over 100ukp and it all goes to pot as with me and Astor, the credit card provider has an amount of joint responsibility with the hire company (this way I eventually got my money back with compensation and may have been protected for any fine from the DVLA -- they let me off this time but technically you are responsible for checking the tax disc!)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: