Jam factory question

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 27 June 2005 10.34am
Hi there

I'm new to the forum so apologies if this should be posted elsewhere.

I read on another thread that the new Jam Factory block (D?) will not go any higher, as there appears to be a roof on it. Are there any JF residents on the forum who would know how many days a week they are working on the new block; roughly what kind of hours (I.e., 7am on a Saturday morning!?); whether the biggest (noisiest) work is finished; and how long the block may take to be completed.

Thank you very much in advance for info.
Sunday 20 November 2005 7.47pm
Hi guys

Just been looking at the various threats on developments in Jam Factory. I like the idea of a community garden but has this been approved? And what's the latest situation on the planning permissions for block D and E? Definitely don't like the idea of that!

Tuesday 22 November 2005 9.16pm

The standard council rules are:

Monday - Friday: 8am-6pm
Saturday: 8am-1pm
Sundays & Bank Holidays: No Working

Mansell, who did the heavy construction, were pretty responsible when it came to noise. Ironically the only time I heard pre 8am noise was hearing someone getting told off by a foreman for starting before 8am.

Buxton ( who are doing the lighter finishing work) on the other hand are sloppy. I've heard stuff at 7.15 - you may have heard even earlier. This morning the guy with massive gas burner thing (burning off water/ice on walkways?) was out at about 7.45.

I've complained once by email and didn't get a reply.

Are you in Block A? Or nearby?
Tuesday 22 November 2005 9.26pm

The garden has planning approval. But it can't be built unless someone (i.e. the leasholders) acquire the freehold to the Block E site. My guess is that whilst Angel might give up the freehold on A , B & C, they won't hand over E for anything less than the commercial value, which could be quite alot (even if they are refused permission on their current application).

As for planning permission being refused on Block D... I think that it has been bundled up with Block E, so it's possible that some issues (e.g. "overbuild" in D, or lack of affordable housing in D, could be offset by a new design for E to create some kind of 'deal' with the council.

Much of the above is very much my own speculation - Max Fawcett on the residents committee is probably the person to ask if you want more/better info.
Tuesday 22 November 2005 9.47pm
Thanks Paul. Just being nosey really - been living here nearly a decade and am overwhelmed by the change in this area in last 2 years. Mainly sorry to see so many tall buildings blocking my view of the sky and green spaces! So definetely in favour of any new open spaces for the area. At least we can cling onto the pretence of a park by the tennis courts off Bermondsey St.
Tuesday 22 November 2005 10.32pm
yas - no problem.

Although I quite like tall buildings in principal, they definitely have to be balanced with amenity space for people. I'd like to see the shard go up, for example, but it will put more pressure on the area.

The park off Bermondsey Street is one of my favouites - seems to have quite a friendly feel to it compared with the bleakness of Leathermarket gardens.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: