Car Hire and Car Service

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 27 June 2005 11.00am
You will all be pleased to know that the Professor and I are thinking of getting rid of our car altogether. We feel that the public transport around us is SO good, we are not late-nighters, and we dont have a country pile to disappear to every weekend. HOWEVER, sometimes we get invited out at night (not often, of course, but sometimes) and we might need to get a cab and also one to take us home, and indeed we do sometimes (not often of course,but sometimes) get invited to other people's country piles which are generally miles from a bus or train. SO, we would like to find a reliable firm which will both be our "taxi service" AND rent us a car if we want to tour Scotland. Does anyone have a pet firm in the area?
Monday 27 June 2005 11.19am
Rent a car from Carpoint - which is more or less over the road from you. Taxi from Southwark cars. Finding one firm that does both economically might be tricky because the cab drivers own their cars, not the cab firm
Monday 27 June 2005 1.36pm
or search for one of the recent (ish) carshare scheme threads on this site Jackie. You pay a joining fee and then can borrow cars from local locations. I've no experience of doing it, but someone on here might.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 27 June 2005 1.59pm
Hi Jackie

We've used sixt-kenning a few times, they're over at Vauxhall tube, but have been the best choice for us because of their opening hours, a lot of other places aren't open on Sunday etc. so are a pain if you just want it for a weekend.

You can book online and they'll have it waiting for you to pick up, very friendly chap in the office too.

We've also used easycar, but they were rubbish - pre booked a car, arrived to pick it up and it was shut, no one there and only a premium rate number to call!
Tuesday 28 June 2005 7.06am
Ooh you lovely people, I knew you'd help. God Bless SE1-ers.
Tuesday 28 June 2005 9.00am
Streetcar is the car-sharing place Jackie. You can google it

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: