Late night licencing applications

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 27 June 2005 12.48pm
Severeal of the pubs in the Shad Thames area are applying for extesions to their licencing hours at present. In one case (the Dean Swift) they want extensions to 3.30am.
I advise people to keep an eye out for notices on pub windows since it appears that is more or less the only notification that is necessary.
Brief details are on the council's website
Monday 27 June 2005 12.51pm
The George on TBR has applied for one. I don't think they deserve to be open after 11pm as they can't controll what happens in there during the day let alone at chucking out time.
Monday 27 June 2005 1.00pm
Oh - Sainsbury's want a 24-hour off-licence in their Borough High Street branch - does this mean they are going to open the shop 24 hours a day?
Monday 27 June 2005 2.21pm
Alan, do you know the other local pubs which are applying for this and what hours they are applying for?
Monday 27 June 2005 2.34pm
Only the ones listed on the website. All Bar One and The Bridge House are on it and a few others further afield.
Monday 27 June 2005 2.44pm
Bridge House not applying for a gaming license then?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 27 June 2005 4.51pm
Belushis is licenced till 4am on 2 nights a week. I went to speak to object but to no avail. Now we often get an almighty rumpus just after 4 in the morning, with shouting and screaming. The arch at the end of Mermaid Court reeks with urine. I have not been disturbed by noise from people or music inside, its just those leaving in a more advanced state of inebriation than if they had been turfed out a bit earlier. I wouldn't like to be in Shad Thames, the shouting would echo down the canyon-like street.
Monday 27 June 2005 5.19pm
Shad Thames is hardly a place that gets thronged with people who don't live there (apart from on sunny weekend afternoons), IMHO. Let's face it, you'd be walking an odd route if you were "just passing through".

I can only imagine that the owners of these pubs must be convinced that there's a call in the neighbourhood for 4am drinking, or that they plan to bus the punters in from farther afield (it'd have to be bus, because there's no other public transport round there).

I can't imagine I'd be leaving the comfort of my million pound warehouse conversion in the early hours of the morning to go and have a beer in the Dean Swift, or have I missed something?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 27 June 2005 5.36pm
Perhaps there's a cultural difference between "us" and other Europeans, which makes us wary of late night drinking.

Over the years, I've spent some time in Madrid, Barcelona and Brussels. In each of these cities the locals go out to bars much later than over here, and don't feel the need to down 50 pints an hour, in order to get as sloshed as possible for closing time.

So long as enough places open late, then hopefully there shouldn't be a problem as people get used to idea that the pubs are open late, and the "novelty factor" wears off. If only a few places open late, then the novelty factor for certain groups will still be there, and they will actively seek out those few places that have late night licenses.

I have this theory that liberalising the licensing laws creates a more responsible society. You should see how sloshed the Swedes when they travel outside of their heavily controlled environment...

So in short, I suppose I'd be OK with the Dean Swift (and other Shad Thames hostelries) opening late, so long as several other places around the neighbourhood open late also, so that the Dean Swift doesn't become this "late night drinking magnet".

Sorry, edited to say that this really needs to be combined with the landlords taking a more responsible attitude. ie. refusing to serve customers who are way passed it! This is something I certainly found in Brussels (I'm talking the neighbourhood areas of Brussels, not the Grand Place region)

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 27 June 2005 5.40pm by Martin Underwood.
Monday 27 June 2005 6.50pm
I think the extension of choice of where and when people can be served food and drink is good - I can't see where it says about the Dean Swift opening until 330am though? It says 130am...
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: