Smelly Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 27 June 2005 1.17pm
Anyone with any idea as to why the stretch of Bermondsey Street outside the Italian bakery smells like a rubbish dump?? It's been getting progressively worse over the last month and was unbearable during the heatwave recently. Blocked drains perhaps???
Monday 27 June 2005 9.39pm
yes your right,quite what they make in there to cause that smell is beyond me but I suppose this is London and Tokyo smells much worse
.Believe me.

Trans
Monday 27 June 2005 11.12pm
transmiral Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yes your right,quite what they make in there to
> cause that smell is beyond me but I suppose this
> is London and Tokyo smells much worse
> .Believe me.
>
>
> Trans

Well that's ok then.

Tuesday 28 June 2005 7.08am
Call Southwark Environmental Health PRONTO and get them to come out. You may have dead rats, which do eventually disintegrate, but till then...otherwise it may indeed be leaking sewage, body under the patio, who knows.
Tuesday 28 June 2005 3.49pm
>>body under the patio,

So that's what the strange smell was at the party. And there you are telling everybody that it is the fault of Nando's !
Tuesday 28 June 2005 5.05pm
The Mapmaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >>body under the patio,
>
> So that's what the strange smell was at the party.
> And there you are telling everybody that it is
> the fault of Nando's !

Jackie is innocent! They have almost certainly been under her patio since the conversion of Alexander Fleming House into Metro Central Heights.

Several members of the Friends of Brutalism disappeared in mysterious circumstance shortly after protesting against the painting of Erno Goldfinger's concrete masterpiece in pastel colours.

[TFIC]
Wednesday 20 July 2005 2.32pm
I've walked up and down Bermondsey Street for years and never smelt anything bad outside the 'Italian' Baker. Other parts of the street, yes.
I have, though, had the wonderful pleasure of the smell of fresh baking bread, and I can tell you it's great to eat. Arnie.
OKR
Monday 25 July 2005 10.12am
If I'm thinking about the same place as you then I wlkaed past there and smelt something not exactly nice coming out of there, but then I realised that it was the smell of yeast proving. So it might not be rats after all... although it is always good to moot your concerns to the council, although whether they take it up and persue it is another matter in my experience.
Thursday 4 August 2005 12.09am
If it's the Baker I'm thinking of, I really like the flag, it's great...really proud....better than the tatty thing next to it.
The ads on the page are a bit opportunistic though.. like no, I don't have body odour or stinky feet. not as far as I know anyway
The local gossip is that the council have paid quite a lot of attention to it. Judging by the frequency with which I've seen it being cleaned out, thats probably true.
I never did get on with Mothers Pride though if it's compressed it does make quite a good eraser if needed.
Personally, I like a street with a good bakers in it for example, it stops the street from being oh so predictable and uniform which it's getting. How many restaurants do we need? What about a good delicatessen, a good bookshop ( like there used to be) or some other unusual business. There's a fashion museum, and there's a good shoe shop and a good framers... we want more of this.. the street is getting terribly bland and faceless in parts/

Thursday 4 August 2005 8.49am
Much of the character of Bermondsey Street has been removed by both a) the incoming residential community (post 1994) and b) by the type of development that has been built to accomodate that community.

Any city needs both its parks and vistas for enjoyment and its bakeries for sustenance. Ticino have been on Bermondsey Street for 30 odd years and it has only been recently, specifically after the conversion of Gemini House to apartments, that they have attracted negative attention.

New residents in Gemini House originally objected to the noise of Ticino's exhaust fans and, as I understand it, used that and health and safety concerns to try and shut them down.

In the time that I've been resident in the area Ticino have never, to the best of my knowledge, been linked to any health scare. No-one that I know who has bought goods from them has ever become ill. Surely that is a measure of the business, more than whether or not odd smells emanate from the premises.

But maybe the sad fact is that people don't mind diversity as long as it isn't on their doorstep.

Hugs, kisses and good thoughts to all.

Niall
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: