Distance from Camberwell

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 29 June 2005 9.16am
Hi

I am moving to London to study in London College of Communication. The school is located near Elephant&Castle, in SE1. School offered me a room in one of its halls of residence in Camberwell. Since I've never even been to London, I don't know if I should accept this offer. Could somebody please help me out here? Could you tell me how far is Camberwell from my school? (In miles/minutes?) Since I come from Northern Finland, I'm used to riding my bike everywhere... Would this route be possible? Or is it too risky?

Another question as well... How popular is Wirelass LAN in London? What are the chances of being able to get it to Camberwell? Could anyone recommend any companies that I could contact?

I thank you for reading all my silly questions. I hope someone can help me out. :)
Wednesday 29 June 2005 9.43am
Hi there (and welcome in advance to studying in SE1),

I think the LCC Halls in Camberwell are on Flodden Road - if that is the one you have been offered it is about 2 miles from the LCC campus at Elephant and Castle. The cycle route itself should be safe as you will be able to zip up the Walworth Road which is a main / straight road with wide lanes. The only problem is actually the Elephant and Castle roundabout itself just by the LCC (which you could just walk through if you didn't fancy the look of it).

I'm afriad I know nothing about wireless LAN.
Wednesday 29 June 2005 9.51am
Wireless internet is quite widely available in pubs, bars, coffee shops and other public places, but usually at prices that make it suitable only for business users.

In London it's not really a substitute in itself for a home fixed-line connection (though you may of course choose to use wi-fi to distribute a fixed-line connection around a room or building).

It is quite likely that some form of internet access will be available in your halls of residence, so I would check that out first.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 29 June 2005 11.15am
Thank you so much for your quick replies.

So Camberwell is just 2 miles away. How long would that take on a bus? (Here in Finland 2 miles goes in 5 minutes.) My boyfriend might be moving to Bankside. Is this distance bad? I've never lived or visited in such a large city, so I have no clue about the distances.

The reason why I'm not so excited about Camberwell (yes, Flodden Road) is that there is no internet or phone access. That sounds just horrible to me. In the city I come from everybody has access to WLAN for free (if not yet, will by year 2007). This is a technology city...

What rates would WLAN have in London? If you could recommend some operators, I could start the search. Right now I do not even know where to start.

Thanks again for your replies. I already feel very welcome to come to London. :)
Wednesday 29 June 2005 11.23am
There is no city-wide WLAN service in London, just 'hotspots' in certain places. For casual use these usually cost about 5 an hour, with better-value monthly subscriptions also available.

(Upper Street in Islington is now a council-backed wifi zone, but that's the exception rather than the rule)

Does the residence allow you to have a phone line installed yourself? It's not cheap, but that may be your best option.

I had my own line installed in halls when I was a student so I could continue to maintain this website from university.

Wednesday 29 June 2005 11.27am
Oh, and you can see a list of WLAN hotspots in SE1 here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/business/wifi.html

It's a bit out of date now - there are another 5 or 6 that I know of.

That page also has links to all the main operators.

Like I said, in London commercial WLAN is not something you can really use at home, unless perhaps you happen to live above a cafe or pub that offers the service.

Many people use wifi within their home in addition to a fixed-line ADSL connection, not instead of it.

Wednesday 29 June 2005 11.44am
Thanks James.

I checked out that link. I just wrote e-mail to BT Openzone, but I'll have to see what they answer. I don't know how I'll survive without internet but I guess I just have to. I also looked up the rates of some companies (T-Mobile, Orange) about GPRS connection. I could get an internet connection with my cell and have the connection to my laptop with bluetooth. However, GPRS is so pricy, that I think I'll forget about it... (88/mo max. 1GB --> NOT A LOT!)

There is absolutely no line on Flodden Road, or not at least in Brooke Hall. That's why I don't think I could organize a line just for myself.

In 2 weeks time I have to decide whether I want to accept the offer for the hall or not. That's why I'm so busy trying to figure out the internet situation.

Would you be able to tell me the distance in time from Camberwell to E&Castle?
Wednesday 29 June 2005 1.01pm
Hi,

The transport for London website:

www.tfl.gov.uk
Gives you journey times and routes on all London buses and tubes, it says 18-28 minutes, it usualy overestimates, but I expect it would be quicker to cycle in the rush hour!

Hope you will like London and SE1 of course!

Kirsty
Wednesday 29 June 2005 1.36pm
jonnaemilia Wrote:
> There is absolutely no line on Flodden Road, or
> not at least in Brooke Hall. That's why I don't
> think I could organize a line just for myself.

Looking at the handbook on the university site, it says: "Unfortunately it is not possible to have phonelines or internet connections installed in to individual rooms."

So I think maybe Brooke Hall isn't a good idea if you need an internect connection!

You won't get a BT Openzone connection there either. According to the search facility at http://www.hotspot-hotel.com there are only two WLAN hotspots in the whole of SE5!

Wednesday 29 June 2005 1.53pm
As well as the TfL site I like to consult the new google maps site: http://maps.google.com/ for planning journeys (particularly if not using public transport).

Just stick in the postcode / address to start from and you then get the option of choosing another postcode / address to go to and the site gives very handy / scrollable / easy-to-use route maps which I think are great.

I do not own google (or even shares in it) of course...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: