Elephant and Castle newsletter.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 30 June 2005 12.54pm
Just came home to find the newsletter on the mat. It has 8 very large pages with most taken up
with semi-abstract artwork. The text ,which is the only useful part, could easily have
been fitted on one page. Hardly a good advertisement for Southwarks recycling campaign.
And because it wouldn't fit through most peoples letterbox they are now scattered on the landings
throughout the building.

'The new ‘cleared for action‘ DVD is now available, demonstrating the area's potential and giving you a glimpse of the future Elephant and Castle. To apply for your FREE DVD just fill in the our online form and we will send you one.'
http://www.into.org.uk/elephantandcastle/
Monday 4 July 2005 11.04am
Ref - 'The new ‘cleared for action‘ DVD is now available, demonstrating the area's potential and giving you a glimpse of the future Elephant and Castle.

I picked up a copy of this new DVD from the exhibition on the first floor of the E&C shopping centre a couple of weeks ago. The first (and only?) presentation was a very good arty promotion for SE1 in general with only a small mention of the E&C regeneration. However, it could just as easily have been a promo for the new Palestra building. Was there supposed to be further video presentations with more details of the E&C regeneration plans (e.g. similar to the detail contained in the framework document)? If so, my version of the DVD didn't seem to play them (it kept repeating the 'promo' video).

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Steve
Monday 4 July 2005 11.44am
It's a difficult one - whilst I agree about the use of 8 pages when 2 might have sufficed as far as the environment goes, I also believe that if the information had been put over 2 pages and thus becoming visually more text dense, it would simply be off putting then it wouldn't get read at all.

At least this way, more people might be more tempted to read it and therefore the messages will reach the widest possible audience (IMHO).

And no, I have no affiliation whatsoever ...
Friday 8 July 2005 11.10am
Hi there,

Thanks for all your comments in relation to the Elephant and Castle newsletter. This was our sixth edition, and our second edition in an 8 page format. Previously the newsletter was sent out bi-monthly and 4 pages long, but as we've now dropped to seasonal editions, we have more news than will fit and we've had to expand to 8 pages as the next size up.

I think as one reader has commented, the design and 'look and feel' of the newsletter is important. Certainly we've had plenty of feedback to evidence this and have also undertaken market research that supports this view and shows that
people will pick it up and read it if it looks 'pretty'! I am aware that in this edition, particularly on page 2 and 3, there was a bit of free space filled by bright graphics, but we often run large maps and images so the format allows for this on an ongoing basis.

This is the first feedback I've had about it not fitting in letter boxes. It's no bigger than a lot of things I know I receive at home, however I am open to changing the format if I have enough feedback that shows this is a much wider problem.

In terms of the DVD, there are three seperate short films on there. The first is a 9 minute promotional film that we created for the Evening Standard Homes and Property show. This seeks to demonstrate the location of he Elephant in relation to key recognisable places in London, and also showcases some of the great things about the area as it is today, ie restaurants, period houses etc. At the end there is a 70 second computer generated movie that sweeps through key parts of the future Elephant and Castle, such as the civic square, opened railway arches, market square and town park. This is repeated as a stand-alone item as the second film. The third film was one we created based on our 'quarter' branding for some promotional events last year.

I hope this clarifies things. I am always happy to get feedback from residents-it is really valuable. I am contactable direct through Southwark Council and our website www.elephantandcastle.org.uk

best regards

Kura Perkins
Communications Manager
Elephant and Castle regeneration team
Friday 8 July 2005 11.55am
I must admit I am one of those people who reads in full everything that drops through the letterbox .
The E&C newsletter was read with interest and I like getting it. I take your point there may not be
enough to fill every issue and resizing it each time would be tedious.
As for my suggesting it wouldn't fit through some letterboxes, I think the delivery person got bored
folding it several times at the doors of residents with small ones and just dropped it outside.
I have a big one (!) as I like to allow the postman to stuff jiffy bags and the like through.
I didn't apply for a DVD as I got the impression they were aimed at the business community.
Anyway, keep informing us and roll on the E&C regeneration.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: