Chris Martin

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 30 June 2005 4.53pm
Did anyone else see Chris Martin (from Coldplay) on St Thomas' Street last night at about 10.15pm? My housemate saw him being filmed whilst swinging a lightbulb round his head in the middle of the street...

P.S she was not on any hallucinogenic drugs...
Anonymous User
Thursday 30 June 2005 5.03pm
Oh no... who let Coldsweat in? There goes the neighbourhood.

IM (not at all H) O
Thursday 30 June 2005 5.07pm
HF Wrote:
> > P.S she was not on any hallucinogenic drugs...
I should hope not. If I went to the trouble of getting some decent trips and all I saw was the Prince of Bland I'd be very disappointed.

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Thursday 30 June 2005 5.15pm
Even if you'd gone to no trouble at all you'd surely be disappointed to see him.

Infact - if he hadn't been swinging a lightbulb around his head would anyone have even noticed he was there?
Thursday 30 June 2005 6.30pm
Have I missed something? Why such a downer on Chris Martin?
Friday 1 July 2005 9.02am

By the by, I think one of Coldplay live on Kennington Road, just over the border in SE11 - not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing....

Friday 1 July 2005 9.58am
bmovie Wrote:
> Have I missed something? Why such a downer on
> Chris Martin?

Where should one start? Speaking for myself bmovie, it's just that I despair that there's such a market for this distillation of catchy blandness.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 1 July 2005 11.54am
I think it's fascinating to see the way in which the coldplay=bland has turned from a heretical thought into received opinion within the space of about six weeks.

John Harris of Mojo, paraprhased in a fortnight ago...

Coldplay got to where they are today with "their own version of the Third Way": "To their right sat Oasis, and the iron rule whereby writing your own 'Wonderwall' remains the key to any kind of large-scale success. To their left lay Radiohead: prickly, millennial, set on somehow crystallizing the confusion and sensory overload that defines the modern experience." Indeed, listening to Coldplay's new album "X&Y" is a lot like listening to a speech by Tony Blair: You're made to believe that you are hearing something Big and Important, but scratch the surface and there is very little heart or soul underneath. When he's giving a public speech, Blair's theatrical glottal stops and pained expressions say, "Listen to me, I'm saying something profound!" as do the epic guitar riffs and Martin's earnest vocalizing on "X&Y." But both Blair's and Coldplay's performances feel too forced and formulaic to be taken seriously: Blair in public-speaking mode comes across as an actor trying too hard to please, while Martin and Co. seem to have written their latest Big Tunes by rote, conspiring to get the audience waving our lighters in the air whether we want to or not. As Harris says, Coldplay is now writing "anthems for anthems' sake."
Friday 1 July 2005 12.26pm
Ah, reminds me of an old episode of the Young Ones, where Neil shouts at the TV:
"Not this band again. They're always on! Crap! What about some Hawkwind or Marillion?"
I suppose, if you like Coldplay, then good for you (and the other hundred squillions who seem to buy their LPs). By the same token, good on the people who still buy Moby records, and Enya, and Demis Roussos. And, if you drink Piat Dor or Beaujolais, don't let the sophisticates put you off your wonderful tastes...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 1 July 2005 12.28pm by Martin Underwood.
Anonymous User
Friday 1 July 2005 1.27pm
I never said that Coldplay being the embodiment of all that is wrong with the 'brit-pop' scene was anything other than my own personal opinion.

Doesn't stop me being right though.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: