Simon the Tanner: how not to run a business

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Saturday 2 July 2005 4.31pm
My four point business plan:

Make it more comfortable
Assess your market
STAY OPEN THE HOURS YOU ADVERTISE
Change your ridiculous hours of 7 a.m to 11 p.m. 7 days a week to 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. No one wants breakfast in a boozer.

There's absolutely no reason why this can't be a successful, profitiable little pub. It used to be busy all the time. You've done EVERYTHING wrong.

Rant over. Good luck!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 2 July 2005 4.31pm by Samuel.
Monday 4 July 2005 7.54am
we went to go in there twice over the weekend and it was shut dispite advertising it was open those hours -what is going on??
Monday 4 July 2005 8.39am
I totally agree with Samuel. Just concentrate on running a good pub and stop trying to compete with all the others round here that do open for breakfast (Bermondsey Kitchen and the Garrison plus numerous caffs).
And please be open in the evenings. Is it too much to ask?
Monday 4 July 2005 3.17pm
I can't stand walking past and looking in through the window at the landlord/bar hand in the empty pub....it's so embarrassing!!! I'll have to start looking straight ahead from now on...

(Of course, this only happens when it's open....typically, I was walking past at 8am this morning and it was closed!!! What a surprise...these people must be really thick or something!!)
Tuesday 5 July 2005 8.00am
well I guess it is a case of use it or loose it -too many pubs have shut down so I would suggest that instead of complaining here we all make the effort to go in there and tell the new manager what we think! -a good excuse for a drink anyway!
Tuesday 5 July 2005 10.48am
You're right....best to go in and tell them what we think face to face.
Tuesday 5 July 2005 4.07pm
You are so right, Samuel! They clearly have not done their market research: look at how successful The Garrison, Harley's and Bermondsey Kitchen are. It is a shame, because I think Simon The Tanner has all the potential of becoming the best pub in the area.
SEH
Tuesday 5 July 2005 5.14pm
A cynic might wonder whether it's deliberate. Is it all an attempt to prove that a pub just isn't viable and that the site would be better turned into nice flats?
Friday 22 July 2005 8.03am
All,

Obviously none of you know what you are talking about or how to run a pub business. - I would ask the question of how many of you have actually been in the pub since the new management has been in and how many of you have actually spoken to the landlord to see the problems that he has faced and how he is addressing them - remember there are no quick fixes when dealing with the public.

Samuel and Chrismingay - you contradict each other - Samuel saying change the hours and Chris complaining that it is not open at 8am. Again you have not spoken to the landlord - they were seeing if people would use the pub for breakfast and were open for about a month serving breakfasts, but not enough people went in to make it a viable prospect so obviously it was stopped. A pub is about the people in it not the pub itself - so it sounds like you walk past and dont give it a chance??

Maurits - they have done their research but this pub cannot be compared with The Garrison, Harley's and Bermondsey Kitchen as these are very different types of pub and in very different positions. This pub does suffer from it position and the restrictions that are put on it by the council in terms of advertising etc. But you are right it is a great pub just needs a few more customers to make it the best.

SEH - This pub works on a results basis - the landlord gets paid out of the profits not on a salary basis so it is in his best interests to make it work. They are trying a number of different strategies - how many of you know that it now has some great promotions on??

The landlord is always happy to talk about ideas and what people think - so instead of moaning here why not go in have a drink and talk to him and make this a) a viable prospect and b) the best pub in the area?

Andrew

London Bridge resident and Simon the Tanner regular.
Friday 22 July 2005 8.22am
broady22 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Obviously none of you know what you are talking
> about or how to run a pub business

That's right, a bit like the guy who run's S the T

> and the restrictions that are put on it by the council in terms of advertising etc.

Really? The council stops the pub advertising on this site or in the local rag or with the surrounding businesses? I don't think so!

< the landlord gets paid out of the profits not on a salary basis so it is in his < best interests to make it work.

You can't generate profits from a pub that's bloody shut most of the time
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: