Gyms

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 4 July 2005 11.38am
having decided to try and get fit and thin I am looking now to join a gym. Does anyone have any recommendations or ones to avoid? (a perk is my company pays most of the membership fees so does not have to be the cheapest but I would still like value for money!)
HF
Monday 4 July 2005 12.37pm
Top Notch on St Thomas' Street is good (esp the classes) but it is expensive unless you're willing to pay for the whole year upfront (45/month I think). It also has a pool which I think is quite rare round these parts
Monday 4 July 2005 3.52pm
I'm a fan of Cannons, just on the North Side of the river under Cannon Street Station. It's huge, with a a big pool, a plunge pool/jacuzzi type thingy, a load of equipment and classes.

Ooh - and it's practically empty on weekends 'cos no-one works in the City at the weekend.

It's not cheap - something like 80 a month, but I don't regret this at all.
Monday 4 July 2005 6.59pm
The Circle Spa has just had a complete overhall and has new management. Thank goodness.

It's small but now very well fitted out. There's a pool, sauna, steam room, classes and new machines with TV and other things to take the pain away! Not sure of the current cost, but I think around 65 per week. If you live round that area it's worth a visit. Ask for Helen, the new owner, or Alex the new manager.

Tosh

Tuesday 5 July 2005 7.50am
Seven islands leisure centre in Surrey Quays. Bit rough around the edges but nice gym, great big 33m pool, friendsly staff and about 25 pounds a month.
Tuesday 5 July 2005 7.58am
thank you all

going to see a couple at the weekend - where is the circle spa?-top notch allow you to take your kids in the pool of a weekend as it is quiet they tell me-do any others allow this do you know?
Tuesday 5 July 2005 8.22am
Circle Spa had an advert in yesterday's issue of SE1 Direct.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 5 July 2005 10.11am
Livingwell on Millbank is convenient for those living near Westminster or Lambeth Bridges. It is almost opposite the House of Commons. A nice pool though quite deep, if your kids don't swim. They allow children in on Saturday afternoons (3.30-5.30pm) and on a morning and an afternoon during the week. But this policy seems to be under review. (It is amazing how many people seem allergic to children as people who remember Big Dave will know.) So worth checking. Off-peak membership is circa 50 per month.

We tend to see the same families every week which is really nice.

Tuesday 5 July 2005 7.08pm
The Circle Spa is on Queen Elizabeth Street in the Circle complex.

The ad in this weeks SE1 has their old web site which is a bit of a shame, as this gives a very bad impression. The new kit and fittings are first class, so dont take much notice of this site and its poor quality pictures. I just saw Helen the new owner this evening as I pounded the treadmill thinggie and she is trying to get the new site sorted asap.

The pool is small, but usually empty when I visit on a Saturday morning.

Hope this helps you.

Tosh

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: