Carpet removal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 4 July 2005 12.34pm
Can anyone recommend someone who can lift up old carpet and old lino flooring and take it away for me? Have just bought new carpet (arriving on Saturday) and they've told me i need to remove the old stuff! help!
Monday 4 July 2005 1.09pm
When I had a new carpet laid, I lifted my old one myself, and then got the council to take it away.
Monday 4 July 2005 5.20pm
If you are on the tenth floor with no lift...you're in deep doo doo. Otherwise, cut it all up first with a Stanley knife into strips which are easy to roll up and cart away.
Monday 4 July 2005 5.36pm
Some carpet firms will remove, but charge.

A year ago I decided to save money by clearing it myself. The carpet was not too bad, as it rolled up and went on the roof-rack, but the underlay was awful.

Baby urine and whatever else had caused the underlay to completely disintegrate. (We did let to a family with three under five so it was to be expected.) Some was wet. But lots of nasty and smelly bits of foam. It involved dustpan and brush and lots of bin liners. But it did all fit into the car and so to the dump.

Removal is expensive but well worth paying for. Failing that, find someone who has a roofrack as rolling the carpet is easier than cutting it up, and you get charged more if you turn up at the dump in a van. Or the carpet person may know of someone who is able to offer the service.

And next time, worth checking that the firm will remove. They seem more willing if you ask the question before the order is placed!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: