Looking for a decent burger

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 4 July 2005 1.32pm
Today's the 4th of July which for me is a day of gorging on burgers, beer and firing up sparklers. Yep, an American in London. Any suggestions for a decent burger in SE1? Am still fairly new to the neighbourhood.
Monday 4 July 2005 3.07pm
Not much in SE1 I'm afraid. Although, both The Garrison and The Hartley both have burgers on the menu from time to time. Best bet is to try Gourmet Burger Kitchen , branches in Putney, West Hampstead, Westbourne Grove, Kings Road, etc....good luck!
Monday 4 July 2005 5.18pm
Where, chrismingay, are these places you mention. They sound as though they are in Outer Mongolia. We in SE1 do not venture to Outer Mongolia. If it ain't here in SE1, it cant be any good.
Monday 4 July 2005 11.04pm
SE1's full of good burglers. In fact, I once heard that 89% of all London's burglerys are committed by south east Londoners.
Tuesday 5 July 2005 8.10am
Good one! Ended up at the Roebuck on Great Dover Street. Couldn't be tempted by their 'steak mince' burger, so I'd opted for lamb. Must admit it wasn't bad. Was perhaps more impressed with the wedges and two little onion rings they serve atop the toasted bread. Yeah, it was served on toasted bread. Come on people, a bap is what you served a flipping burger on -- not Hovis!
Tuesday 5 July 2005 9.05am
Do Americans say "bap"?

I thought you all had buns. Obviously I'd say around half of you have baps, but I rather thought you didn't know it, and called them something different.

Can we start a breadcake thread?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 5 July 2005 9.13am
Yes, we call them buns. But I've called it a bun before and been looked at like my head's on fire. I'm learning the lingo.
Tuesday 5 July 2005 10.00am
If you're going all native, you might like to push beyond baps and explore the murky world of the crusty cob and the barm cake.

Tuesday 5 July 2005 10.07am
That just sounds really nasty.
Tuesday 5 July 2005 11.06am
is that "nasty" as in Janet Jackson nice, or nasty really meaning not nice ;0)

You'll find that barm cakes are soothingly spongy (probably the nearest thing we have to a hamburger "sandwich" bun), and cobs are localised around Nottingham (good job, because Mrs I tells me that in her Manchester childhood, a cob was slang for a turd).

Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network