Recycling

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 7 October 2002 9.59am
This morning, I took my weekly stack of newspapers, etc, to the recycling banks at Tooley Street to find the banks completely full up.

Not just full up, but overflowing to the extent that people had left their newspapers, bottles, etc arranged in bags all around the recycling banks.

Two questions:
1. Why doesn't SouthwarK Council collect from the recycling points on a more regular basis?

2. If the recycle points are full and residents leave their bottles and paper next to the recycling banks, do the bottles, etc, actually get recycled? or do Southwark Council's refuse department simply put them in their refuse trucks (thus negating the whole point of residents sending them to the recycling banks)?

Is there anybody else frustrated by this?
JD
Monday 7 October 2002 12.02pm
Yup. we went on sat and its was full then. Maybe its becoming quite popular and SC don't realise the banks need emptying more often. Worth telling them maybe?
Monday 7 October 2002 1.17pm
Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but my view is that, because Southwark Council sub-contract out the actual collection from the recycling points, the contractor who tenders cheapest gets the contract. The cheapest contractor is probably cheap because they don't empty the recycling points as frequently as those who bid at a higher price.
Monday 7 October 2002 2.44pm
I understand your frustration. It's as though we're being discouraged from recycling!

I wonder if more bins, rather than more fequent pick-ups, would help solve the problem?

Sara
Monday 7 October 2002 3.10pm
I contacted Southwark Council and spoke to the recycling hotline, coz I wanted to drop off my recycling and coudn't too...

They have said that because of resurfacing works, their contractors couldn't access the recycling bins this weekend. They apologise, and will be down there by Wednesday to empty the bins, and in the meantime apparently Southwark council will be round to pick up all the excess rubbish...

For the record, the recycling hotline number is 0800 096 0895.

Hope this helps.
Tuesday 8 October 2002 4.35pm
This is the first time we've been contacted about a problem on this site. It is true that resurfacing works prevented us getting access to the site, but we will send people down there tomorrow (Wednesday) to sort it out.

I should also mention that any rubbish that is found on the ground near bottle, paper and other banks is also sent for recycling.

And thanks for promoting the recycling line - we really like to hear from people and we always try to sort things out as soon as possible.

Southwark Environment Department
Tuesday 8 October 2002 10.26pm
When are we going to get the blue box scheme in the north of the borough? Many of my essential car journeys are for recycling, I can't carry the stuff!
Wednesday 9 October 2002 9.00am
"When are we going to get the blue box scheme in the north of the borough? "

Indeed, and for those of us without cars it is even more pressing. I lived in Lambeth and about 5 years ago they introduced green boxes for all recycling, collected on a weekly basis. Yet still Southwark has not caught up.
Wednesday 9 October 2002 12.24pm
The introduction of the blue box scheme is the first of a number of Council inititaives planned over the next 12 months designed to increase recycling in all parts of the borough.

The blue box scheme currently operates for properties that receive a wheeled bin refuse collection service. For more information on the blue box scheme please give the Council's Environment Call Centre a call on 020 7525 2000.

Southwark Environment Department
Seb
Thursday 10 October 2002 9.16am
Philip, thanks for your postings - they're very helpful. I live north of E & C and we have a door-to-door paper/cardboard collection every week, in a blue bag (this is great, I'm not complaining!), but is this the same as the blue box everyone's talking about?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: