The Crown, 108 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Sunday 17 July 2005 2.46pm
I'd like to say to start with that I have no affilliation to the Crown.
I often walk up Blackfriars Road on the way to the river and I noticed that the Crown seems to have changed hands. I popped in with a couple of frends and we all felt we needed to say that it was very friendly and welcoming, the food was superb and (above all in this weather) it has a secluded beer garden away from the road at the back. Apparently the new owner Dom used to own Simon the Tanner. It's always great to find a good pub and I just thought I'd share it!
Sunday 17 July 2005 2.57pm
?Cider?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 22 July 2005 4.07pm
I have checked and it seems to be seeling Strongbow. It's open Monday to Friday (soon to extend into the weekend) and does food from noon to 3pm and 5pm to 9.45pm. It's just nice to find a friendly pub that feels like it might not be in London!
Friday 22 July 2005 4.19pm
(Dronid - I don't think Strongbow counts as cider ... just thought you should know!)
Monday 25 July 2005 1.21pm
Yes, I'm aware it's not satisfactory. Apparently he's been trying to get cider in there for some time and unfortunately Strongbow is all they can get. What can I say?
Monday 25 July 2005 1.37pm
I'd say that if he put a post up on here asking how to get hold of real cider on a regular basis and in reasonably small quantities, there's a very good chance that someone would do a bit of asking around and come up with a name and number that could get him some manucubes of real cider.

While the weather's this nice, it wouldn't take much of an incentive to get me to take the new Ivanmobile to Somerset and come back with some cider riding pillion.

But I'm also convinced that there's a more reliable way, and a man already doing something similar (?Jon Hallam?)

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 25 July 2005 1.44pm
Ivanhoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd say that if he put a post up on here asking
> how to get hold of real cider on a regular basis
> and in reasonably small quantities, there's a very
> good chance that someone would do a bit of asking
> around and come up with a name and number that
> could get him some manucubes of real cider.
>
> While the weather's this nice, it wouldn't take
> much of an incentive to get me to take the new
> Ivanmobile to Somerset and come back with some
> cider riding pillion.
>
> But I'm also convinced that there's a more
> reliable way, and a man already doing something
> similar (?Jon Hallam?)
>
> ...if you press it, they will come.

http://www.camra.org.uk/SHWebClass.asp?WCI=ShowCat&CatId=386

Tuesday 26 July 2005 9.51am
I will pass that on to the Landlord! Thanks everyone.
Saturday 30 July 2005 2.25pm
Popped in yesterday - my first visit in sixteen years !!! - still remember when it was the boozer that postively deferred non-regular custom. I was pleasantly surprised by the transformation. Service was friendly, despite it being a Friday and heaving with people (where do all they all work???)

Bombardier was the only ale on, so I had I took my pint of lager (3.10 - I think it self selects its demographic!) in the garden, which has great potential - although with far more steps than at Imbibe across the road.
Saturday 17 September 2005 6.25pm
We went in The Crown today for a dinner and a drink. It is now open on Saturdays.
I had Bombardier, which was a very good pint or three.
My wife had the pan-fried salmon, which she said was really good and very tasty.
I had the pork and leek bangers. I could not taste the leek in them, but they were more like the pork and herb sausages I remember eating when I was a kid. Best tasting sausages I have eaten in many a year. No problem in recommending them.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: