History of my building

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 7 September 2001 5.44pm
I live at 1 Stannary Street, Kennington, SE11 4AD in a Victorian school converted into Lofts in 1997. The building has a date of 1897 and was called the Kennington School.

We are told that Charlie Chaplin went to school here in 1898 and 1899.

Does anyone know any more history about this building. I wold like to find some old photos if they exist.

Many thanks, Dale Keller
Thursday 13 September 2001 1.52pm

According to Charlie Chaplin's autobiography, he was sent to Kennington Road School by his father's mistress, Louise, when he and his brother went to live with them at 287 Kennington Road, after his mother was sent to an asylum. He described it as "a bleak divertisment, for the presence of other children made me feel less isolated". A photograph shows his class, with the title, "At school in Kennington, agerd seven and a half". If the Lycee was Kennington Road School it would seem that he started attending slightly earlier then a898 as he would have been nine. As the school has a founding date of 1897, he must have attended almost from its beginnings. It does not seem that he attended a different school in Kennington as before this he had previously been at the Lambeth Workhouse on Renfrew Road and from there was sent to the Hanwell School for Orphans and Destitute Children and then on to Norwood Schools, with only a brief period back with his mother in a room behind Kennington Park.

He continued to attend the school on and off, after his mother returned from the asylum and he and his brother went to live with her in a room near the Hayward's Pickle Factory (now the Camera Club) and the slaughter house on Bowden Street. He describes school at this time as "the beginning of new horizons: history, poetry and science" but his education was interrupted when he left to "join a troupe of clog dancers, the Eight Lancashire Lads".

Hope this is of interest.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: