Bermondsey Street & Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 19 July 2005 2.59pm
Fairly new to the area and currently looking for a place to buy (not easy!).

Does anyone know whether Bermondsey St. is going to be pedestrianised (a rumour I've heard) and what exactly is happening at Bermondsey Sq. (I've been to but there isn't much there yet)?

Tuesday 19 July 2005 3.36pm
Have not heard about a pedestrianised Bermondsey St, but the Square seems to be moving along, although very slowly.....I'm sure there are many people on this website who will know more than me as it has been discussed in the forum before, but don't know how to link....sorry.

I'm trying to sell - not easy!
Have been with Acorn estate agents, based on Bermondsey st, for over 8 weeks, 10 viewings, all comments positive & all loving the flat, but no offers.
Not really felt that Acorn have tried very hard in selling my property: Have not informed me of viewers responses - I have had to chase them up. Advertising in the Evening Standard, they are supposed to inform me by letter when it was letter, no information, but it was in the paper..?!?
Me thinks, if I stay with them, they will make some very easy money, by not doing hardly anything at all.
Any alternative estate agent recommendations are more than welcome.

Maybe I should have opened a new thread on this...

Anonymous User
Tuesday 19 July 2005 3.46pm

I bought my flat through Open Door,

They're in Weston Street so quite close to you. They're not the glossiest of outfits but I felt that they worked quite hard both on my behalf. The lady I bought the flat from is now a neighbour of mine and she also felt that she had goot service from them.

The two people I dealt with were Mel (huge flirt) and Ati (nutty but nice!)
Tuesday 19 July 2005 3.54pm

I don't know who starts the 'pedestrianisation' rumour but I suspect that it must be a developer's or estate agent's favourite. Maybe they believe it would make the street more attractive, I don't know, but it is a rumour with no foundation.

Now, if the rumour was that Bermonsey St was going to be made one-way throughout its length, then I definitely would take notice. The current one-way/two-way/one-way layout is confusing and makes the corner of Tanner St and Bermondsey St the driving equivalent of Russian Roulette, especially when the chav-biker is in the vicinity.

Looking around, I can't imagine why its difficult to buy in the area because the building frenzy, whilst slowing, clearly has a way to go yet.

Best wishes.

Tuesday 19 July 2005 3.58pm
Thank you Birdie, I will call them to see what they can do for me..
I'm not in a chain & can be out of my flat as soon as I work my notice at work, if not before.
So very keen to sell quickly - not to get away from the area as I'll always love it & will definately miss it, but to be with my partner up north, especially now as my four legged friend has gone to doggie heaven.
I've thought of using Foxtons, I know they use a very hard sell method & their charges are larger than the average, but if it gets a quick sale, then I suppose they're worth using.
Tuesday 19 July 2005 4.14pm
I've used Foxtons both to buy and sell through, although not in this area. Yes, they charge more but I feel they were worth the extra.
Tuesday 19 July 2005 5.29pm
When I was trying to rent, we used Williams Lynch, and the people there were extremely nice and efficient. I'd reccommend either Mark or Andrew - both own the business and are very thorough.
Good luck with it .

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: