Lock up garage - the search continues

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 20 July 2005 11.58am
Here we go again :-(

I asked this before, about a year ago, but the quest is on for a lock up garage or similar for some household storage surplus to our planned move but too nice to chuck away. Somewhere near Waterloo, Elephant, London Bridge triangle would be ideal, but further afield may be ok.

I am aware of all the local storage companies (ABC, Access and others) but they are a bit pricey (or rather they only provide half the space for the amount I would be happy to pay for a lock-up).

And just to head off the other likely suggestions: de-cluttering - we filled 2 skips and 4 or 5 carloads to the charity shop. We did de-clutter, but still have more stuff than we can fit. Very strange how that happens, I just can't understand it, it's not as if we're still buying stuff. Well not very often. Well, not very much. Car boot sale: we're not trying to get rid of it, just get it out of the way for a while!

Any offers/suggestions very welcome.

Mark.
Thursday 21 July 2005 1.32am
I don't have any bright ideas for storage I'm afraid, but just to say that if you haven't already come across it the freecycle website is a great place to give away stuff you don't need any more (and to pick up stuff that other people don't need any more!)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freecyclelondon/

Cheers

Jessica
Thursday 21 July 2005 11.32am
Mark, is that storage place still down harper road? I think a garage/lock up thingy may be more expensive than storage...
Thursday 21 July 2005 11.44am
Hi Jan

They're Security Storage (anyone with a name like that sounds like it'll be more expensive than a typical self-storage like ABC or Access!). Still there, so I'll call to get a quote, thanks.

However, most of the storage companies that publish their rates on their web sites are asking around 100 per month for about 50 sq ft (7'x7' or 8'x6') which compares poorly with a lock up garage (at least twice the size - say 12-16 feet long by 8 ft wide) at a typical 100 per month (although they range from 70-200 per month depending on location and convenience for commuters).

A couple of local price guides for example from those listed in the Property section on this site:

ABC Self Store
http://www.abcselfstore.co.uk/locations/southwark_prices.html

1st for Storage
http://www.1stforstorage.com/waterlooprices.htm

And of course you can usually back a car up to a lock-up, whereas these storage units usually require a long walk with a trolley, possibly up in a lift - not the world's biggest problem, but it turns a 5 minute drop-off in to a 10-15 minute job. Impatient, aren't I....

My ideal solution is one of those garages in Pocock Street, or in a Frazier Street block. Here's hoping.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21 July 2005 11.45am by markandjoan.
Thursday 21 July 2005 12.32pm
Crikey - i never knew storage was that expensive..does it have to be in london?
Thursday 21 July 2005 1.00pm
Well lock-ups can be found for about 50-60 per month out in the suburbs, but then it's hours of driving to get there and back - it's all a trade off, this inner-city living. Cost vs convenience. Sigh.
Thursday 21 July 2005 10.23pm
Alternatively - Southwark Council used to let garages to non-Council tenants. Don't know if they still do but enquiries can be made through any of the local housing offices. I looked at a couple of garages on the Aylesbury but they were too small for my campervan. From what I remember, they were cheap.

Regards

Niall

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: