Pool of London improvements to tunnels and roads

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 25 July 2005 9.40pm
Interested in this article in the SE1 news about GBP 2.1 million being spent on improvements to tunnels and traffic calming measures in the neighbourhood.

But a little mystified as to why the article doesn't specify which tunnels and which roads.

Has anyone got any further light they can shed on this? (pun intentional)

Thanks in advance.
Tuesday 26 July 2005 11.37am
According to Pool of London Partnership's
Tunnels and Arches Improvement Strategy (157 pages of pdf but only 70 pages of text) the priority order for improvements to the tunnels was

HIGH PRIORITY
�� Bermondsey Street
�� Joiner Street
�� Whites Grounds/ Crucifix Lane/ Brunswick Court/ Barnham Street complex

MEDIUM PRIORITY
Tower Bridge Road
�� Roper Lane
�� Borough High Street
�� Tanner Street
�� Shand Street
�� Millstream Road
LOW PRIORITY
�� Abbey Street
�� Weston Street
�� Stainer Street
�� Gedling Place

I don't know if they are still following this list.
Tuesday 26 July 2005 6.49pm
Thanks Rabbie. It's a shame they didn't just list them as footnotes to their own press release...

Tuesday 26 July 2005 10.30pm
I wish someone would shed a little light on Roper Lane - it's permanently in the dark now - has been for months - not nice to walk home through after a few drinks.
Monday 1 August 2005 1.24pm
You might be interested to see what is planned for the Crucifix Lane arches at the top of Bermondsey Street as part of the regeneration of this part of town. They are planning a new linear landscaped park in the Shand Street arch that is artificially lit with electro-illuminenscent light panels - only the thickness of paper. Should be great if it gets the funding.
There are also plans for new live/work units; shops and an arts space.

Images and further details are available on:
www.crossriverpartnership.org
&
www.riba.org/go/RIBA/News/Press_4761.html
Monday 1 August 2005 7.07pm
Thanks Felicity - interesting looking project. Do you have any information on when this might actually get built? The press releases are a little short on specifics like that...
Tuesday 2 August 2005 10.37am
The Crucifix Lane proposals were from the separate ideas Light at the End of the Tunnel competition
Tuesday 2 August 2005 10.46am
Thanks - so I saw. As per usual with all of this, still light on the specifics on when these projects will actually happen. One would have thought that this would be a basic ingredient of some of the press releases the various regeneration bodies issue...
Tuesday 2 August 2005 12.02pm
It was an "ideas competition" not a project design competition- provides young architectural practices with a showcase for their ideas i.e. no guarantee of funding and no obligation on Spacia (who own the arches) to take the winning entry forward.

Be interesting to see whether the works that Pool of London have agreed to fund will allow any of the vision to be taken forward.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: