Tooley Street Red Route

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10
Monday 25 July 2005 9.46pm
It's not that complicated, Tooley Street is a Red Route, there are even signs which say 'Red Route No Stopping at Any Time'. Why then is there an almost constant turnover of tour coaches parked diagonally opposite The Elusive Camel, close to the end of Weavers Lane (which ironically leads to City Hall) and the entrance to Potters Field Park.

If Transport for London are so keen (see their advertising) to prevent Red Route congestion and impose fines on vehicles stopping on Red Routes, why (and I'm prepared to put money on this) has there never been a tour coach fined for parking illegally in Tooley Street.
Tuesday 26 July 2005 9.45am
They also park over the approach to the pedstrian crossing there... dangerous, as you try to cross the road there you cannot see oncoming traffic and the traffic can't spot you.

Isn't there anywhere for them to park legally where the tourists could get off and take their pics of the bridge?
Tuesday 26 July 2005 10.01am
This is a very very very old issue. Residents had hoped it might be solved when the road was designated a red route, as before then it was subject to Southwark's enforcement powers and they did b*gger all.

The broadening of Tooley Street's pavements a couple of years ago was also supposed to have the side effect of narrowing the carriageway so that if these coaches did park there they could be moved on by the police because of the obstruction they were causing. Not sure this has ever happened though. You could make a Freedom of Information request to the Southwark Commander asking for any data they hold on this.

Basically the problem is that most of these coaches are foreign registered, so if a parking ticket is issued it never gets paid by the overseas company. Of course, they could try something like taking a photo of each offending coach and entering it into a database of vehicles they've issued tickets to. Then, the next time the coach rolls into the UK at Dover or Harwich they could fine it on the spot before it comes up to London.

More effective would be to send one of those mega-tow trucks and impound the damn things until a very large fine has been paid.

There is nowhere for them to park legally.
Tuesday 26 July 2005 12.01pm
Thank you both - the reason I started this Thread is because residents should band together and hopefully through numbers resolve this issue. Andrew, you said that the majority of offending coaches are foreign registered - I take pictures of the vehicles every time I hear one outside (the engines make my flat rattle) and over three quarters are British coaches with certain companies being consistent offenders. I have been banging on about this to TfL, Ken, LBS, The Met, Red Route Traffic Wardens etc etc for years and still nothing is done to prevent these vehicles parking. All the agencies blame each other and latterly (since I began supplying images) my letters are ignored.
I could go on forever about this (it's a hobbyhorse) and know that the majority of my neighbours are sick to the back teeth of the noise and pollution generated by these coaches, not to mention that London Transport buses refuse to stop at the Bus Stop because it's invariably blocked by tour coaches - as I write there's a British registered tour coach sitting at the Bus Stop with its engine running.
Tuesday 26 July 2005 1.56pm
Get Valerie Shawcross (local GLA member for Lambeth & Southwark) or another GLA member more to your political taste to ask Ken about it at Mayor's Question Time so it gets onto the public record and potential press interest about Ken's inability to deal with transport problems on his doorstep.

Contact details for Val Shawcross (Lab - Lambeth/Southwark)
http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/members/shawcrossv.jsp

Contact details for Roger Evans (Tory - chair of Transport Cttee)
http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/members/evansr.jsp

Contact details for Geoff Pope (LD - deputy chair of Transport Cttee)
http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/members/popeg.jsp
Tuesday 26 July 2005 2.23pm
I wrote to Val Shawcross, enclosing a CD of hundreds of images of illegally parked tour coaches. No reply. I have written to many many people (it's all on file) and nothing has been done. Darren Johnson (His Ref 1458) wrote (27.1.05) to say that he would table a formal question to the Mayor. Mr Johnson never followed up on that. Basically I believe there's a 'conspiracy of silence' and on 4.9.04 this was reinforced by a police officer (Badge No TL7117) who told me ,"We're turning a blind eye". My solo approach to this problem has had no effect however last December I had a female Red Route Traffic Warden screaming (I use the word advisedly) at me from across the street, "Why do you keep taking pictures?", I have in the past spoken informally with Red Route Traffic Wardens who tell me there is nothing they can do.
Tuesday 26 July 2005 2.43pm
As I write, tour coaches W203EAG and CAZ2051 are parked at the end of Weavers Lane, both with their engines running, one driver on the pavement. Both of these vehicles are on 'official camera' ie the ones festooning the tops of the poles outside The Elusive Camel and their nTachographs will show that they were stationary as police vehicle Y676HGU drove past. Nothing will be done.

Yes I am obsessed by this but these coaches ruin any pleasure I get from my home with their fumes and noise.
Tuesday 26 July 2005 2.47pm

Threaten to take action of nuisance in the court against the tour companies individually or action against Southwark for failing in their duty of care to you.

Regards,

Loafer
Tuesday 26 July 2005 3.28pm
Turn this thread into a press release and send to:

South London Press newsdesk
email: newsdesk@slp.co.uk
Tel. 020 8769 4444
[Edited to add: unfortunately, Oscar Mortali the SLP's former transport reporter who knew contacts in TFL now work's for Lambeth's press office! If you have elderly neighnours, kids or threatened cuddly animals willing to be photographed for the story then your chances of a good spread are dramatically improved.]

Southwark News
Editors: Chris Mullany and Kevin Quinn
email: chris@southwarknews.org / kevin@southwarknews.org
Tel. 020 7231 5258

not forgetting...

London SE1 Community Website
Leigh Hatts, Editor
email: newsdesk@inSE1.co.uk
Tel. 020 7633 0766

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 26 July 2005 3.31pm by Lang Rabbie.
Tuesday 26 July 2005 8.22pm
Paul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Darren Johnson (His Ref 1458) wrote
> (27.1.05) to say that he would table a formal
> question to the Mayor. Mr Johnson never followed
> up on that.

A quick google found this:

http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/assemmtgs/2005/mqtfeb23/mqtfeb23item04.rtf

which shows that Darren Johnson did ask a related question on 23 Feb (Question 374) however I didn't manage to find an answer anywhere .... do these not get published online or maybe they ran out of time and didn't get to the question? Either way a quick email to Darren Johnson might quickly get the reply if there was any. (I'm guessing possibly there was none as otherwise, having asked the question, why would he not have forwarded the answer?)

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: