Good Indian Restaurant in Shad Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 28 July 2005 10.56am
There is a relatively new Indian restaurant in Shad Thames, called Hara. I think it is fantastic, but am worried that it might close, since they don't seem to be getting a lot of patronage as yet.

One of my frustrations about living in Britain has been that the Indian food here isn't like the food that I had in India, the US, or even Moscow. British Indian food, as I'm sure everyone knows, has its own style, influenced both by the Bangldeshi origins of most of the restaurants and the development of local dishes like Chicken Tikka Masala, which most Indians wouldn't recognise.

Anyway, this restaurant has a great menu, though it is very much not the sort of place that you would go to after an evening at the pub, as it is of the same sort of quality as the Bengal Clipper, but with a much more Northern Indian emphasis. I have found myself going there about once a week, of late. I highly recommend the place.

I'm worried about its future, though, since they opened at the former site of the Circle Bar, and I have now seen two different places try to open bars there, and then close. I'm hoping that listings like Square Meal and Time Out will eventually notice them, since I would hate it if a place this good subsequently disappears.

In short, then, I strongly recommend it to everyone, though the prices are higher than the typical curry houses. They have a bar there, but I have no idea whether its any good, since I haven't tried it.

Oh, here's the usual disclaimer: I'm in no way associated with the management or ownership or the place, and this isn't a disguised advert. I post occasionally about other topics on this site, so I hope that there aren't any doubts about my being a genuine poster!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 28 July 2005 11.24am by cyoung66.
Thursday 28 July 2005 11.36am
According to their website

http://www.hararara.co.uk/

they are still operating the Circle Bar on the ground floor.
Thursday 28 July 2005 11.38am
The trick is to wander to where Indians live and not where Bengalis live.
eg. North London for Punjabi , South London for South Indian, past Brick Lane into the wilds of Zone 3 for Gujerati etc.

Thursday 28 July 2005 1.14pm
Certainly not cheap - just checked the menus on their website. Nice to see a good vegetarian selection though. I've always thought the Bengal Clipper to be very average/ even below average, so I look forward to trying Hara.
PK
Thursday 28 July 2005 2.30pm
I've been to Hara twice and loved it. As a regular user of the Bengal Clipper takeout service I would say that Hara is even tastier - more sophisticated and imaginative menu.

The bar seems to get quite few a people in, so am hoping that more of those people will be tempted to go up to the resto. Would be a great shame to lose the place. I also found the staff be extremely affable (not something that can be said of the Clipper on most occassions).

N.B. I also have no connections to the resto.
Tuesday 2 August 2005 11.34pm
Yeah, the staff in the bar are great ~ two good things going for it for me:

1) Excellent Martinis
2) Non-smoking
Monday 20 March 2006 10.42pm
Just had a takeaway from Hara and I have to say it's in the top 5 curries I have had in London (Kastoori in Tooting being #1) - the lamb chops and kebabs, and spinach with wild mushrooms being especially good. The dahl less so.

Certainly the best curry in SE1 - I popped into City Tandoori on Borough High St last week after footy and regretted buying the oily mess instantly.

Hara also told me they were starting a delivery service soon...

Usual disclaimers, I have no connections etc - actually found them on this site... :)
Tuesday 21 March 2006 3.25pm
I also have no link to the restaurant but ate there a couple of weeks ago and had the best duck I have ever eaten. The food in the restaurant seems to be of a very high quality and is quite affordable. Unfortunately the venue appears to attract few diners which means it has a slighltly odd atmosphere when you visit and might not stay in business that long. Can I ask other to give this posh Indian a try in an effort to support its welcome addition to the local dining scene ?
Tuesday 21 March 2006 7.12pm
The Bengal Clipper is reasonable food at very expensive prices so an alternative in shad thames sounds good

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: