Real ale in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 28 July 2005 2.52pm
Man cannot live by weissbier and bottled Belgian stuff alone - although I have been making a good effort recently.

Given that both the Royal Oak and the Market Porter are sadly becoming victims of their own success, any recommendations for other pubs in the area that regularly have at least one real ale on tap and therefore deserve the support of discerning drinkers.

Other suggested rules:

1. Youngs pubs only if you think the beer is actually well kept

2. "Real cider" aficionados may also post in this thread - so long as they are housetrained. ; )

Do you agree with Camra's seven?

Views on
The George???
Hole in the Wall???

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 28 July 2005 2.56pm by Lang Rabbie.
Thursday 28 July 2005 3.28pm
I'm barely housetrained but I will try and restrain myself: The Horseshoe Inn (off Snowsfields) had real beer when we met for a Sunday folk mosh a while back, it also has a garden full of delicious flowers. I've always liked The Lord Clyde. Beware of the pub in London Bridge Station (more of a bar really) it had a couple of real beers but had no toilet(!) the last time I went in. The Royal Oak is great but...I'm not that big a fan of Harvey's beers. The George (Borough) I've found to be a bit of a ripoff in the past so tend to keep away. The Marigold - real people but no real beer.
Thursday 28 July 2005 3.37pm
Adnams at the Bridge House?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 28 July 2005 4.05pm
I like the Lord Clyde for a similar ambience to the Royal Oak without the levels of popularity. I also like the Kings Arms on Roupell Street which seems to do a pretty good array of beers. It does Adnams and others I think and used to be a funeral parlour which i think is quite an interesting change of use! I was in there on Monday and my dearly beloved was praising the beer and the Thai food.

As an aside dearly beloved used to live In Cambridge and was a big fan of the Milton Brewery (www.miltonbrewery.co.uk) (sorry don't know how to do those link thingys!). Its won a few CAMRA awards etc and i think now has a pub in Harringay somewhere. I mention it because we used to get mini kegs from them for parties/summer BBQ's and I wonder if there's anywhere around here that you could get one from for a social? Or maybe the cider supplies fill the gap!
Thursday 28 July 2005 4.11pm
What about the Southwark Tavern (next to Boro Mkt) ... and the Dean Swift on Lafone Street? Vague recollections of ale drinkers recommending them ...
Friday 29 July 2005 1.52pm
it's not SE1 but I went to 'The Star' - Belgravia Mews West on Wednesday night, Fullers pub, nice food, and a very nice few pints of 'Discovery'

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: