New cameras on Tooley Street?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 1 August 2005 12.36pm
I was wondering if anyone new what those new cameras on Tooley St, built into the pavement across from More London, are for?

There seems to be a very tall black pole with several cameras and what look like hi-fi speakers sticking off the top of it... Any thoughts?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14 August 2005 9.58pm by James Hatts.
Monday 1 August 2005 12.43pm
I haven't seen the Tooley Street ones yet, but there's a very strange looking one going up on Borough High Street as well, opposite Sainsbury's.
Monday 1 August 2005 1.41pm
Same sort of thing? A black pole, about a foot in diameter, going up say 30 feet, then curving out with the horizontal bar being some 10 feet long? From memory, I'd say there were about 10 cameras on the one on Tooley and possibly half a dozen of those speaker-type things.

I could understand the cameras being there for security as many point across the street to More London and the open courtyard space. However others point directly to another building, only a few feet away. Is the configuration similar to the one you saw on Borough HS?

Monday 1 August 2005 2.56pm
Yes, that describes it to a T. Exactly the same.
Monday 1 August 2005 3.16pm
They are probably the SPECS digital cameras that read number plates in an instant. They are also capable of calculating the average speed of a vehicle between two points. So if they are the aforementioned, then beware if you exceed 30 mph, because they will get you and you'll end up with a fine and points a few dats later!

Ian Borough
Monday 1 August 2005 3.28pm
Pity they're such a blot on the landscape.
Monday 1 August 2005 3.34pm
They're not exactly discrete are they?
Monday 1 August 2005 3.34pm
Each installation has two cameras and a LaserTaser pointing in each direction up and down Borough High St.
Anyone spotted dropping litter will be hit with 10,000 volts.
Crossing the road other than at a designated crossing = 20,000 volts.
Sticking your tongue out at the cameras = 1,000 volts
Muggers will be given a lethal 1,000,000 volts and cremated on the spot.

Monday 1 August 2005 3.42pm
Yup - this is the camera bundle I was referring to. What I don't understand is why cameras are facing at the wall - or is that just temporary until they're configured properly?

Also what about those objects that look like hi-fi speakers? I checked on this site: and it didn't appear to say anything about them...

Monday 1 August 2005 4.55pm
I reckon Jackie and Niall have clubbed together to get these installed to catch errant chewing gum ... err, chewers disposing of their gum in previously mentioned anti-social ways ... and non-pooper-scooping dog owners ...

Or Paulh is upping his digital photography output ...
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: