Mint Street Park ambient "raving"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 3 August 2005 5.33pm
I'm going to sound like a total NIMBY loser here, but is anyone getting concerned about the spiralling level of insane activity by the local drunks in Mint Street park? There were a few of them before who were harmless enough, but its gotten worse, in particlular the guy who likes to walk up and down Marshalsea road whistling and shouting from 6am to 11pm. Yesterday he was following a really unnerved Japanese girl the whole way up the street, basically shouting sexist abuse at the girl.
Also, there is a new guy who's been hanging around the Shell station who's stopped me several mornings in a row (I work nights) aggressively looking for cash.
I'm not sure about what to actually 'report' to the cops, which is why I haven't called them, but I know that when kids are playing in the park, they're still there, and frankly that is a real disgrace. Is anyone else getting a fed up with looking at them every single day?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14 August 2005 9.58pm by James Hatts.
Wednesday 3 August 2005 6.07pm
tjmcg, the level of anti social activity in and around Mint Street may have escalated partly because of the increased control over access to the area around St Georges Church [which is now permantly locked pending restoration work], and St Georges Gardens, which is currently cleared and locked at dusk by Community Wardens. On the one occasion recently when for some reason the gardens were not secured overnight, local residents endured a night disrupted by drunken, shouted conversations and a barking dog, i.e the 'regular' local street drinkers who wasted no time in reclaiming the area. It was a repeat of the sort of thing we had to put up with all through last summer, and unfortunately the same people still congregate around the entrance to the gardens during the day, thus putting off others who would like to go in. I sympathise with you, but I can't offer any solution, particularly as Mint Street cannot be secured. Many of the street dwellers prefer to exist that way and dislike hostels. Our collective solution seems to be to displace them as far away as possible. I admit that I too am being NIMBYist, however I would loath to have repeat of the disrupted nights of last year.
Wednesday 3 August 2005 6.45pm
Janefs, thanks for your message -- I actually lived on Long Lane last summer, so I remember them (and the sleepless nights) well. I know it's a difficult situation, but I'm inclined to agree with you that the drunks don't actually like staying at hostels, and groups like St Mungo's are pretty rubbish beyond giving them a meal, and really it's time the cops got involved. I watched them today in the park, a couple of them looked like they were picking up drugs, and I've also noticed some residents from the Peabody Trust hanging out with them too, and the park was empty until they pissed off at around 3pm. Now they're back, and suprise surprise, the park is empty.
Are there park warders for Mint Street park?
Wednesday 3 August 2005 8.14pm
You could try calling the council [yes, I know - but give it a try] and ask to speak to the person in charge of Community Wardens. I have spoken to him in the past and he is very helpful, [but I have unhelpfully mislaid my note of his name]. The problem with Mint Street is the access, it cannot be secured. If you see anything you suspect to be drug dealing or taking, call the police. Again from my direct experience they respond very quickly, although at the time of posting they are rather distracted by other things.
Friday 5 August 2005 5.03pm
I would urge anyone who has concerns to speak to the police and other interested parties, eg. St Mungo's in the case of Mint Street Park. I posted a similar comment on here earlier this year about the problems with street drinkers congregating in Flat Iron Square, round the corner from Mint Street Park. I also wrote to the police, St Mungo's and Simon Hughes, not because I object to people choosing that way of life but because there were several violent incidents in the shop and the square itself; one where a guy sat in the street injecting himself; our doorway was regularly being used as a public toilet and generally the atmosphere was very intimidating. The police are sympathetic - Julian Thorne is the local neighbourhood beat officer - I don't know what actual action they can take but it's important to let them know. St Mungo's are quite defensive about the situation and say that these people are not their residents - in fact, a number are banned from the hostel. However, they hang around because they are friendly with other residents and, according to the local shop owners, they all pool their giros to buy drink together. I also feel like a NIMBY loser moaning about it but I have stopped using the Park because of the gang that gathers there.
Friday 5 August 2005 6.23pm
ASBO?
you can report it online too

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: