Children in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 14 October 2002 7.53am
Now that our daughter has become 3 years old (ah, bless!), we're in that usual quandary of choosing schools, and justifying living in SE1 (more specifically, Tower Bridge).

Let me explain myself: Over the last year, many people from our daugther's playgroup have either moved out to suburbia, or are thinking of doing so. The usual reasons given are a) choice of schools, b) space, and c) calmness (!)

We, on the other hand, think SE1 would be a fantastic place to bring up our daughter (ok, if only we could afford a nice big house, rather than our flat). But we are concerned that if we continue living here, will she have many friends in the area of her own age?

For me, the great delight is being able to walk home from work and have time to play with my daughter before she goes to bed, rather than suffering the long commute out to suburbia, arriving home just in time to say "night night".

I'd be interested in hearing anybody else's experiences of bringing up children in SE1.
Thursday 17 October 2002 8.25pm
Doing it with kids or 4 and 6 on the other side of SE1. Most from our playgroups also left but those that stayed are now here for the duration. Once kids hit four social life is largely determined by school, and all London kids seem to commute horrifically long distances so if you find a good local school your kids are fortunate. We find we have to seek out sports things like football and swimming, but no more so than elsewhere, and we do make an effort to go green places such as Greenwich, Battersea, and Hampstead at weekends. But since we are in the centre its not so hard. Plus remember to use what there is. I took my son to Singing in the Rain at the National when he was four and he loved it.

And it only takes my husband ten minutes to walk home from work.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: