Question about Pages Walk / Mandela Way

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 4 August 2005 7.28pm
Hi all,

Pls pardon my English, as I am... French :(

I will relocate to London late September and so wanted to have some feed back about this area ( Pages Walk / Mandela Way ). I have seen some available properties to rent there, and so have some questions :
- is this area safe ?
- I have seen there was "depots" on a map, what is this big grey area ?
- is the surrounding areas nice, with some pubs and bars and restaurants, bu aso residential ?
- would you live there as a couple of foreigners ?

That ' s it, each advice is welcome, and hope to meet you when living in SE1

Emmanuel
Thursday 4 August 2005 7.41pm
Bienvenue!

I'd say that it's as safe as anywhere in London. Your post (mail) may not be safe in the Mandela Way sorting office, but you will. The houses on Pages Walk are very pretty, and it's a lovely quiet, secluded spot. I regularly walk past them on my way home.

Yes, you might be mugged; but that might happen anywhere in London. You might be broken into, but again, that might happen anywhere in London.

The Depots: There's a Tate depot (Tate are a large sugar manufacturer, and sponsor of the 'Tate' gallery). And a Post Office sorting office. If you have an old map, you may be looking at the old Railway Goods Yard, called Bricklayers Arms. That disappeared years ago.

It's a healthy mixed residential/light industrial sort of area that london does very well.

There are plenty of places to eat/drink: The Hartley (eat, not drink); The Bermondsey Kitchen; SoBo; Champor Champor; Pont de la Tour; Hope & Anchor.

:ducks & runs for cover at mention of such an eclectic selection:

Finally, London is full of foreigners, so it doesn't really matter where you live. We're a remarkably cosmpolitan bunch.
Thursday 4 August 2005 7.52pm
Merci for the "Bienvenu" :)

Your reply is helpfull :)

Yes, you guessed well, my map is old :( and there was this bricklayer's something on it.

Regarding the Depots, does it make a lot of noise, pollution, traffic, etc ? Or is the Pages Walk very quiet, even if living on the Depots side of the street ?

Maybe you could also help me to determine the right price to pay for renting one of these houses ? Do you have an idea ? 300 PW ? More ? Less ?

Do you know if many of these houses are available , and if families are living in, or maybe more couples without children ?
I have seen one that is available, but don(t know if I can wait some extra weeks to come, visit, and eventually make an offer, or if someone will take it before me :(

Leaving here would be very convenient as I will work in Canary Wharf, and havind a patio is something we cannot have in Paris. And inhabitants seem to be very friendly, after reading this forum :)

Thank you very much again :)

Friday 5 August 2005 1.07pm
Pages Walk is one of the quietest streets I know. I'm not sure it's the most convenient for Canary Wharf, though. You are about a 15 minute walk to Bermondsey tube station (from where it is 3 or 4 stops, so about 10 minutes to Canary Wharf).

If you're looking for property to rent, If I were you I'd go to http://www.findaproperty.com

if you're looking for an up to date map, then look at http://www.multimap.co.uk

I'm no expert on renting, but 300 per week sounds pretty sensible.
Sunday 7 August 2005 11.47am
There is a bus from Tower Bridge Road straight into Bermondsey Station and you could also take the bus to the river and then the boat on the Thames to Canary Wharf.

This neighbourhood is lovely and I dare say that this Forum enhances 'la vie du quartier'. There are families and children, but the area is very very mixed in terms of lifestyle, class, culture, race and income. 300 per week sounds fair, and I would do some proper research into what is available for that price. The rental market has been difficult lately, so you should be able to negotiate.

We are remarkably central here, with buses into the West End in about 15 minutes and Waterloo less than 10 minutes. In atmosphere and ambiance this is comparable to Paris 11: Cirque d'hiver, Parmentier, Menilmontant jusqu'a Bastille.

Should you choose to live here, you'll find a true representation of what London is these days whereas that would be less in the obvious neighbourhoods such as Chelsea or South Kensington.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: