Gantry on Borough High Street (opp.Sainsburys)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 9 August 2005 3.23pm
Does anyone know what the big black gantry is on Borough High Street and who gave permission for it to be there as it obscures the wonderfully historic view down the High Street?
Tuesday 9 August 2005 4.25pm
I think you mean the one being discussed here

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/39084

(not sure if the link will work but its the one about cameras on tooley street). Its some new congestion charge pilot.
Tuesday 9 August 2005 5.03pm
Maybe the cameras will protect us from terrorists (not).
Tuesday 9 August 2005 6.03pm
On a slightly related point, I was a little surprised to see a Transport for London Congestion Charging van parked on Southwark Bridge yesterday, filming the licence plates of cars coming into the City - because it was about 10:40pm at night.

I will look into it a bit more myself, but I was under the impression that the TFL mobile vehicle data was only supposed to be used for congestion charging purposes ?
Tuesday 9 August 2005 8.02pm
I dare say that under whatever draconian prevention of terrorist act has most recently been passed powers permit the use of surveillance cameras for anything the powers that be might like.
Wednesday 10 August 2005 11.41pm
They are SUPREMELY ugly. Presumably they have somehow bypassed the planning process?
Monday 15 August 2005 10.51am

Liberty is putting in a query to Southwark Council under the new Freedom of Information rules to ask what it is. It will take a wee while but I will post an update when the council gets back - unless any lurking councillors would like to enlighten us now?
Monday 15 August 2005 10.59am
red bus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Liberty is putting in a query to Southwark
> Council under the new Freedom of Information rules
> to ask what it i

Presumably, like the Tooley Street one, it's part of the Congestion Charge tag and beacon pilot:

http://www.tnn.co.uk/UKNews/plonearticle.2005-08-08.2523479768

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 15 August 2005 12.56pm
red bus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Liberty is putting in a query to Southwark
> Council under the new Freedom of Information rules
> to ask what it is. It will take a wee while but I
> will post an update when the council gets back -
> unless any lurking councillors would like to
> enlighten us now?

Like Tooley Street, the stretch of Borough High Street north of St George the Martyr/Great Dover Street is a Red Route and under the control of Transport for London Street Management, not Southwark council, so they should probably be the first call for an FOI request.

I'm not sure that TfL even have to consult with Southwark Planning's conservation team about these monstrosities, but it will be interesting to see what your FOI request to Southwark brings up.

Laughably
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/pdfdocs/red-routes-south-central.pdf
states that one of their aims is to "improve the street environment".
Monday 15 August 2005 4.12pm

Thanks - we will do TfL as well then. It would be nice if there was a sign or somesuch to actually let people know what this enormous collection of cameras and sensors is. This is part of trying to find out more about which new systems are being set up, how they interconnect and what happens to the data. Will post when we (eventually) get something back.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: