Potters Field History

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 10 August 2005 2.42pm
I'm interested in finding out more about Potters Field's history.

My interest was sparked when word-of-the-day was Potters Field: A burial place for poor or unidentified people.

I looked at some old maps, and found this from 1878 which shows a small burial ground between Weaver's & Potter's Lane:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/lmap.asp?compid=14879&slice=282&buffer=1#iframe

and I know that from 1977-1985 it was the William Curtis Ecological Park.

Does anyone know what happened to the ground prior to the ecological park?

Many thanks in advance,

Elaine
Wednesday 10 August 2005 3.05pm
Some bits and pieces of planning history (a bit more comprehensive than the more recent thread are on page one of the Potters Field Park Refurbishment thread from last year

Edited to add:

And you might also be interested in my posts here and here
Thursday 11 August 2005 8.08am
Thanks Lang Rabbie, that's very interesting - I didn't realise 'Potters Field' went back to the bible.

Does anyone know what the Potters Field park was like before the William Curtis Ecological Park?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 August 2005 8.08am by misselaineneous.
Thursday 11 August 2005 9.27am
Hi Elaine,

You'll be able to find out more about the site if you visit Southwark's Local Studies library, off Borough High Street.

The part of Potters which is closest to Tooley Street was formerly the churchyard for St Olave's church, futher along the road (it was on the site where the 1920s headquarters for the Hay's Group now stands; you can read a bit about the church on a plaque on the wall of the building, nearest London Bridge Hospital, IIRC). Unless they have recently been moved, if you look behind the bushes on the right hand side of the park as you go in, you'll see some of the old gravestones leaning up against the wall.

Cheers,

Andrew
Friday 12 August 2005 7.49am
Thanks Andrew - I looked this morning and the headstones are still there. Amazing.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: