Woolpack Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Friday 12 August 2005 4.05pm
I have absolutely no connection to this place.

Haven't they done a LOVELY renovation job on the exterior of the building? Lovely.
cej
Friday 12 August 2005 4.26pm
The new interior & bar is quite the bees knees too... what's the kitchen like? It looked tempting the other day.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12 August 2005 4.32pm by cej.
Sunday 14 August 2005 7.17am
Where is it?
Sunday 14 August 2005 8.28am
HF
Monday 15 August 2005 9.54am
The new menu is good. Quite inexpensive and much tastier than the Thai stuff they used to do. I know they have done things to improve the interior but, to me, it kinda looks the same as it always did. Ideal beer garden though.
Monday 15 August 2005 2.19pm
To be honest I am utterly disappointed with the place. The decor is chaotic, I think I know what they are trying to do but they are failing miserably, they have fake flocked wallpaper for god's sake. The Garrison have pulled off the mixed up antique thing but the Woolpack is a mess. I went in there on Wed evening and there were two screens playing nonsense music at top volume. The wait staff were glum and not one bit friendly and there were mice in the beer garden. They should really sort themselves out because this is just not acceptable, they are still miles behind the Garrison (even though the staff there are offensively SHITE and RUDE) and the Bermondsey Kitchen. It's almost like they haven't got a clue.
Monday 15 August 2005 2.31pm
I've just come back from lunch at the Woolpack (was the Scotia, maurits) and can thoroughly recommend it. As I noted in the Lunches thread, the menu isn't huge but we had really good, seemingly freshly cooked food with tasty crispy interesting salads. The draught selection at the bar is what you'd expect though quite wide plus a cider I hadn't heard of (not Strongbow or Magners) and Youngs bitter. I like the interior now - it is losing it's 'interior-of-mens-toilets' look and the wallpaper warms it up (big bold patterned wallpapers are very 'now' amc22, and easy to recover when they aren't). I quite like the eclectic stuff that is appearing. The staff we encountered were friendly and I guess mice can't be helped outdoors - it is very close to the Leathermarket park afterall. And they are 'actively encouraging families, especially on Sundays' ... we'll be visiting again!!!
(And no affiliation at all, other than being a satisfied customer)
Monday 15 August 2005 3.03pm
thanks for the lesson in interior design but I assure you it is not required. My complaints are as follows:

1. They have not mastered the eclectic retro look AT ALL, they should be using real flocked wallpaper NOT fake stuff (for example)
2. the new bar is too much of a contrast with the rest of the the 'look' of the place, it looks cheap (whether it is or not is beside the point)
3. the beer garden is still grotty
4. get a cat, I do not accept mice running around under the tables
5. the staff are not friendly. I do not understand why it is so difficult to get staff who smile and treat you well, it does wonders for business believe me
6. the music is too loud,

To sum up I think that the Woolpack is teetering on the edge of being a dodgy Wetherspoons.

If I was opening a pub on Bermondsey Street right now I would be trying alot harder. Somebody needs to set the standard around this area or else we will all be putting up with these mediocre and fairly naff establishments for longer than I care to imagine.
Monday 15 August 2005 3.14pm
It's true, I think, that there are too many hobby-type mediocre businesses in this area.

SoBo continues to amaze me with its luke-warm coffee and appallingly limited food selection.

I like the Woolpack, though -- though I haven't eaten there yet. I didn't notice the wallpaper, but, as I said, the exterior has been sympathetically done.
Monday 15 August 2005 3.21pm
amc22 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To sum up I think that the Woolpack is teetering
> on the edge of being a dodgy Wetherspoons.
>
> If I was opening a pub on Bermondsey Street right
> now I would be trying alot harder. Somebody needs
> to set the standard around this area or else we
> will all be putting up with these mediocre and
> fairly naff establishments for longer than I care
> to imagine.

Oh no! We can't have naffness in Bermondsey Village!

Daytrippers to the village might confuse it with the artully kitsch retro-ironic design statements on offer at other local establishments.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: