Southwark Council terminates TMC

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 15 August 2005 1.55pm
Today, Monday 15th August 2005, Southwark Council served notice that it has terminated the
previous management agreement with Tabard Gardens Tenant Management Co-operative with
immediate effect and is re-assuming management responsibility for the estate.
169 Long Lane is now an office of Southwark Council's Housing Department.

What a farce! The interminable bickering at TMC has finally been their downfall. I voted against
the formation of the TMC 10 years ago because I felt it was started by a group of amateurs with no
experience in what they were undertaking. I must admit in the last 2 years things seemed to be
getting better to me, but obviously not. My only contact with them was to moan about the cleaning
and the enforcement of parking permits so probably won't notice any change. I'd love to see a
proper and comprehensive audit of accounts for the last 10 years. I imagine a select few treated
their position as a 'nice little earner'.
Wednesday 17 August 2005 9.42pm
Monday: receive notice as above.
Wednesday: speak to person now supposedly running the estate on behalf of Southwark about a problem I've been having, only for them to take no responsibility for it and say it was down to the TMC!
Ask who is now responsible for the estate, to find that no-one really knows.

This sounds like a case of Southwark Housing deciding that rather than taking responsibilty for some of the problems here and supporting resident management for a change, they have decided that an easier option would be to close the whole TMC down, only to find that it is not as easy as they thought, and they should first have taken legal advice about whether they could unilaterally back out of the management agreement.

The TMC has been so awful recently that its difficult to imagine who would want to put effort into continuing it. However, I believe we will lose a lot if we become absorbed by Southwark Housing Dept.
Tuesday 23 August 2005 10.42am
Received notice yesterday that the proposed meeting for Aug 24th (or 23rd?) that I presume was to explain what was going to happen now that Tabard Gardens TMC is defunct has been cancelled. So...errrr....what next or is this a taster of the level of information we can expect to receive. Looks like nothing's really changed.

If you'd like to receive email updates on major works and other leaseholder issues with regards Tabard Gardens Estate, then email me directly. I'm not doing it in a formal capacity, just trying to disseminate some of the information I have previously gleened from Tabard Gardens TMC and the Southwark Council Leasehold Management Unit.
Tuesday 23 August 2005 12.42pm
Long-time lurker finally breaking cover...

I was entertained to see the highly professional "notice" of the meeting being cancelled - pretty much the original flyer with "Cancelled" stamped over it.

Southwark LMU also sent me an invoice for the replacement windows which should, according to the original plan, have been finished by now but in fact haven't even been started. Is this in order? I know the normal quarterly service charge is billed in advance, but is it the same for major works?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 23 August 2005 12.46pm by slothrop.
Tuesday 23 August 2005 2.53pm
As I understand it, you should not have to pay for any major works until the end of the defect liability period, usually a year after completion of the works. You may find the invoice is labelled "estimate" or "draft" or similar. If not then it should be.

Lucky you, I've not had the cancellation notice even. Letter to director of housing called for, I think, copied to councillors. That may be the only way to find out whats going on here. Certainly residents seem to be the last to be kept informed. Its certainly a waste of time talking to people in the office, if even the supposed director cant tell you anything.
Tuesday 23 August 2005 5.55pm
Thanks for that TUMJ. The actual number on it is described as an estimate, but everything else about it makes it look like payment is being demanded. I'll get in touch with them.

I get the occasional project plan posted to me, the latest one of which has my windows being done in October. Just when you want the breeze rushing through...
Monday 3 October 2005 1.22pm
Can someone throw any light on how one can challenge the costs quoted on the invoices for Tabard Gardens Major Works. Window replacement...Having being quoted 1495 by the TMC, this has now doubled as Southwark Council has reviewed the "estimates"....a cost a almost 3000 to replace only 3 windows, leaving out the replacement for bathroom windows. Have all other properties on other blocks who have had window replacements on Tabard Gardens had a full compliment of windows and if so, why have Becket House leaseholders paying what I would describe as a disproportionately high amount.

Or are we covering the cost of all those broken paynes of glass that accompanied the window frames....
Monday 3 October 2005 1.47pm
When the surveyors came round to me (Medway House) they told me that the smallest windows (toilet, and the one above the front door) would not be done in the "main" round of replacements. No date mentioned as far as I can recall.

However from glancing at other blocks, it does appear that they've had their full complement of windows.

The estimate for mine was 4000ish for 5 windows; so proportional(ish) to yours but, I agree, concerning if other blocks really have only been paying 1500.
Monday 3 October 2005 1.56pm
I have tried to contact staff at TMC for information as to how they have came to their estimate and to provide a breakdown, but was told this query had to be directed to Southwark Council, who will only forward you the invoices and direct debit info - so much providing detailed assistance. On Southwark Councils record, I doubt very much that they will be having another Phase to replace, or more correctly, finish the job they have started properly...
Wednesday 5 October 2005 2.52pm
Now it's back with the council you'll need to contact the Leaseholder Management Unit.

I understand that Martin Green, who heads the unit, is generally happy for leaseholders to come in to the office and go through the calculations.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: