Recommendations for weekend breakfast venue?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 21 August 2005 8.48am
Hi all -

I am sure this topic has been addressed before, but I couldn't locate any answers through the search functionality of this site. If anyone can direct me to an archive where breakfasts in SE1 are discussed, that would be appreciated.

I have recently taken to starting my weekend days with breakfast out and about. I am looking for somewhere that I can get a leisurely breakfast on Saturday or Sunday mornings. Note that's *morning* - like around 8 to 10 am :-)

I want a place where I can read my newspapers without being hurried away and enjoy some food. I am not bothered by what kind of food - I enjoy a fry-up as much as a more "healthy" granola-and-fruit meal. But it must have good coffee!

Browns in Butlers Wharf looks like a good venue, but they don't open till noon. There's a place in Clink Street called Amano which seems to be ok. But SE1 is a big place and I am sure there must be others!

Any suggestions?
Chris
Sunday 21 August 2005 11.39am
Here's a thread from last year on breakfasts:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/22059

There have also been several more general threads on local cafes.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 21 August 2005 1.05pm
Bermondsey Kitchen on Bermondsey Street is open early-ish on Saturday and Sunday mornings now -- I think from 9.30 a.m. Lovely place for brunch, I think, and the coffee's good.
Sunday 21 August 2005 4.54pm
The Garrison in Bermondsey Street do great breakfasts and good coffee too!
Monday 22 August 2005 2.34am
There's a couple of places near Dockhead, and one on Mill Street as I recall. Sorry, don't remember their names!
Anonymous User
Monday 22 August 2005 8.10am
Best of Bermondsey on Grange Road for a proper breakfast with the added excitement of potentially bumping into TLMJJ!
Monday 22 August 2005 9.00am
The All Bar One on the river does breakfasts on Sundays (possibly Saturdays too) - slightly expensive, but you get a good view. Unfortunately they can't sell you a bloody mary until noon though. There's also a cafe next to Starbucks on Shad Thames - that does a good breakfast and good coffee and it's also fairly cheap. They have seating out in the 'piazza' at the back too.

La Lanterna/Mill St Cafe does breakfast on Saturdays, but it wasn't outstanding as I recall - good place to read papers and drink coffee though, and watch the self-proclaimed Bermondsey mafia if they're up that early...
Monday 22 August 2005 3.09pm
try Amano on Clink Street or Sobo on Tower Bridge Road.
Monday 22 August 2005 4.08pm
(not cheap, but scenic if you're in the mood for a treat) how about the cafe in Tate Britain?

Or the RFH (when they've finished bashing it about)

On a sunny day, when the cider man's at the Market, I find the grass in front of the Cathedral to be an excellent place for lounging, people watching, and cider drinking (without too much in the way of Jocasta and Bruno). I'm sure it could also be used for newspaper reading.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 22 August 2005 10.45pm
Terry's Cafe

Great Suffolk Street
SE1
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: