What's happening at Elephant train station?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 21 August 2005 11.56pm
I have a bird's eye view from my flat of Elephant and Castle train station. There has been strange activity all weekend: flat bed wagons being pulled through manually, JCBs moving gravel, it is still going on now at almost midnight. What's happening?
Monday 22 August 2005 12.08am
Just some fairly run-of-the-mill engineering work, I should think.

The line through E&C has been closed all weekend.
http://www.thameslink.co.uk/main.php?page_id=217

They'll be working now with the aim of getting the line reopened by the Monday morning rush hour, though delays due to "overrunning engineering works" are far from uncommon.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 22 August 2005 12.14am
People who visit me and look out of the window are always surprised to see the station. Most of my visitors don't even know there *is* and Elephant and Castle train station.
Monday 22 August 2005 9.26am
ANd it's a rather good station at that. You can get to Gatwick and Luton from it. Recommended.
Monday 22 August 2005 10.10am
People really do underestimate what Elephant & Castle has to offer. It's certainly a useful station, but an unpleasent one to use, especially at night when it's unstaffed and all the monitors and displays just show "Welcome to Elephant & Castle", and nobody answers the help/information call point, as has happened to me before! Why are London Underground able to maintain even their outlying surface stations to a standard rarely seen on National Rail?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: