Tesco's movable feast

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
MM
Saturday 19 October 2002 7.27pm
I thought a string of half-bare shelves, remniscent of a Soviet-era Russian supermarket, with fruit and veg that appears to date from the same era, was bad enough. But no. The local management of Britain's most over-priced foodchain now seem to think that our weekly shopping trip is just not as painful as it could be. Congratulations, then, to one and all, on the new game to keep us amused: "guess the isle". Well, its certainly giving me a laugh. Every week I trundle around, wondering where the buffons have hidden their fermenting "fresh" produce, or their "Value" (aka pisspoor quality) brand bog-roll, that is also available B and Q and is known as medium-density fibreboard. Could it be isle 5, or is this the week where we hide it with on the deserted clothing section (another great idea of the management)? And, whilst I'm at it, just how many months does it take to reorganise a bloody shop layout anyway? And how the hell did Dame Shirley Porter and her friends make this supermarket chain the most successful in Britain? Certainly not by employing the standards of the Old Kent Road branch, that's for sure.
Saturday 19 October 2002 8.10pm
I noticed that even the Mayor of Southwark strongly denounced the Old Kent Road store in the Southwark News last month!
Sunday 20 October 2002 11.55pm
you should try Elephant & Castle, or not. just don't decide in advance what you'd like to cook - it's easier to wait and see what they've got.
Why use 'super' markets anyway? Go to Borough Market and cook some real food.
VM
Monday 21 October 2002 12.26am
For the umpteenth time, Borough Market is fab for food (if you want to join a queue of 10) but the loo roll is just not up to scratch (or probably is if it's organic). Sometimes I just fancy beans on toast...if I can find them in Tesco's. For those of us living on a bit of a shoestring, unless it's to crawl on the floor for squashed vegetables, Borough Market is not an option.

Do you by any chance live in Trinity Church Square, Ms kaos? I'm beginning to suspect residents there keep the place in business although they proclaim to be no richer than the poorest of us sometimes.
Monday 21 October 2002 2.44am
What nonense. Borough Market isn't overpriced - sure you can't buy loo roll there, but its better to buy good quality stuff as you need it than the @!#$ Sainsbury's and Tesco sell which goes off after a day. I've bought stuff at B. Market which has lasted ages cos it was so fresh in the first place - my only regret is that its not open just Thurs (some stalls) Fri and Sat - I'd like to see a couple of days early in the week. Sod the bloody supermarkets - farmers markets all across the UK is what I'd like to see.

Do you know that not one person in France lives more than 40km from their nearest daily farmers market? That is real development.

J R Hartley.
Monday 21 October 2002 10.49am
If you think Old Kent Road is bad, obviously you haven't been to the Surrey Quays store lately. The much vaunted refurbishment shows no sign of completion and this weekend a member of staff said it would be another five weeks. Shambles is probably too good a word and if we are lucky it will be finished just in time to sell off cheaply all the stuff they couldn't sell at Christmas.
Seb
Monday 21 October 2002 2.05pm
Tesco on the Old Kent Rd are appalling. No trolleys to be found, no fresh food. I tried to use their customer feedback system to point out a few things, but for several weeks there were no pens or forms to fill in. Then I did find one to fill in, which promised a response within 48 hours. None came. So I phoned their central swicthboard, who profusely apologised and promised a local reponse. Several days later I got a call from someone from the Old Kent Rd who hadn't got a clue what my original complaint had been , so I had to repeat it and they said they couldn't help me. I finally got a call back from their customer services manager at 9pm one Friday night! I've defected to Kennington Tescos for the time being, until the road works at Vaixhall are finished and I can get to Sainsburys once more.
Monday 21 October 2002 3.39pm
and what about the pig ignorant ( sorry you polite swines!) who don't even bother to tell you how much your shopping is, just sticking out their hand for the money, and don't even thank you for spending 50/60 pounds? then make no attempt even to help you put shopping into bags to speed the queue up..
Monday 21 October 2002 4.10pm
It's not so much the new layout that bothers me, although that is quite annoying, it's the fact unless you're after potatoes, Cheddar cheese or frozen dinners, there's little that Tescos Southwark can offer. The fish counter is not something you want to go near if you are of a delicate disposition. Borough Market is, of course, one of the best places in London to buy food, and doesn't have to be expensive. But if you work Fridays and can't get there on Saturday, it's not much of an option.

Does anyone know of any decent foodstores (oh, my heart cries out for a delicatessen) in the area?
Tuesday 22 October 2002 12.27am
VM - it's such a shame when people can't keep to the thread and see the forum as somewhere to insult people, don't you think?

I do, as it happens, live in Trinity Church Square. It was, 16 years ago when we moved in, one of the few affordable places to get an unfurnished flat. We live on the top floor in a small space with no heating and little in the way of mod cons. We still prefer to buy smaller amounts of quality food at Borough Market, little of which needs throwing out than buy overpriced irradiated 'food' bought on the cheap by Tesco, at great expense to the producers.

Check your facts before generalising about others' lifestyles.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: