Nearest supermarket, cinema & gym

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 29 August 2005 11.24am
I'm delighted to say that, all being well, I shall soon be moving to a house in Alma Grove. Whilst I wait for the estate agents/lawyers/surveyors/bank to get their collective arses into gear, I just wondered if anyone living in the area could tell me where the nearest decent supermarket (assuming Tesco?), cinema and gym are?

Monday 29 August 2005 11.50am
Have you tried UpMyStreet ?

There's lots of local information on the kind of things you are looking for - and the below links should work for you:

Cinema will certainly be the UCI at Surrey Quays, though the UCI at West India Quay is also easy to get to from where you will be. There's also loads of threads on local gyms - it depends a lot on what facilities you are looking for (and the price you're willing to pay).

Monday 29 August 2005 7.50pm
Thanks, Siduhe; now have a list of gyms to check out.

One other question - do you know of any good gardeners in the area? Initially to bulldoze the place and re-design it, and then for some maintenance? The so-called landscapers charge an absolute fortune and for my postage stamp garden I can't justify it!

Monday 29 August 2005 7.57pm
There's also a list of gyms here:

Though I am aware it is in need of some updating.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 30 August 2005 10.00am
Hello - welcome to Alma Grove, I live there too - have done for nearly two years now.

Are you the Italian chap my wife and I spoke to last weekend, who was talking about moving to the area and asking our opinions etc. ??

Anyway, it is a lovely road to live in and I'm sure you'll like it there - it is such a peaceful road and is convenient for loads of things.

Supermarkets - Tescos on Old Kent Road (OKR) is the most convenient but also the worst. It's just not a great supermarket for a big shop and it is often chaos in there. The larger Tescos up by Canada Water tube is much better and about twice the size - they also have self-service check-outs which are great.The ASDA on OKR is good - large and spacious with nice staff but I don't like ASDA's food range but this is probably because I'm a bit of a food snob.

Gym - I use the Seven Islands leisure centre which is a five mins drive from Alma Grove, or about a 10 min run. It's not the most modern leisure centre but it has everything you need, including anice 33M pool. It costs us 33 per month incluing all swimming and all fitness clases.

Cinema - we go in to the West End to be honest on the number 1 bus, that goes from the end of Alma Grove directly to Totenham Court Road and it takes about 20 mins.

Hope this helps.
Tuesday 30 August 2005 11.46am
Hi JGarcia,

Many thanks for the info - no, I'm not that Italian chap, rather an English one!

Do you know if the 1 and 74 buses run at night too and how frequent they are?

Tuesday 30 August 2005 11.54am
carmenes82 Wrote:
> >
> Do you know if the 1 and 74 buses run at night too
> and how frequent they are?
?try the TFL site?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 30 August 2005 1.54pm
Ivanhoe Wrote:
> carmenes82 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > >
> > Do you know if the 1 and 74 buses run at
> night too
> > and how frequent they are?
> >
> ?try the TFL site?
> ...if you press it, they will come.

The 1/N1 is a 24/7 service [half hourly after midnite], but the 74 does not go anywhere near The Blue, so make sure that you do not jump on one if you are heading for Alma Grove......

The 53/453 are also 24/7 and go to/from the west end and Tescos OKR.

Hope that is of some help.
Tuesday 30 August 2005 4.29pm
Welcome to the area, enjoy your time here.

I've given up on the tesco's on OKR... (and supermarkets in general really).. reasons being the bad range of food, queues and general lack of cleanliness. I've started to shop more independently and found it cheaper and more rewarding... the turkish shops on OKR are fantastic for pittas (fresh, large and only 25p pre packet) and olives and general loose produce (only the inside stuff, not the ones by the road) for emergencies.
Otherwise I get organic fruit and veg delivered by either Abeland COel( or the organic delivery company (www.theorganicdelivery company) who also delievr organic groceries. Neither are massively expensive and far cheaper than tescos. Meat & fish are bought from borough market, but choose your supplier carefully as it can sometimes be expensive. We prefer Northfield Farm )and the fish place next door), not offically organic, but all free range, no nasties or anitbiotics and proper butchers who know their stuff rather than average cuts wrapped in plastic.

Tuesday 30 August 2005 10.45pm
Thanks for all the help guys - definitely helps you settle in more quickly when you know where you're going.

Have tried the tfl site, but I think I must be technically challenged - can somebody tell me the easiest way to get to Moorgate from Alma Grove? I assume a bus will be the quickest...

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: