Moving to near Elephant and Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 1 September 2005 3.04pm
Hi there,
I am moving to London mid-Septmber time to go to University and me and my girlfriend are going to be renting a basement flat on a little street off the Walworth Road called Fielding Street. The trouble is that all of the people I have told I am moving to this area have kinda given a groan and not been very positive about it. Now im just a bit worried about mine and my girlfriends safety. Can anyone give me any advice please about no go areas or times or places?
Many thanks in advance.
Warren
Thursday 1 September 2005 4.23pm
Aylesbury estate late at night..
Thursday 1 September 2005 4.39pm

It's not so bad that side of the Walworth Road. My sister lives in Chapter Road nearby and hasn't had any problems.

If it was the other side of the Walworth Road, I would think twice. As it is, the next road along is Sutherland Square which is actually quite nice.

The local police station is in Penrose Street FWIW.

Regards,

Loafer
Sal
Friday 2 September 2005 12.28pm
There is no safe place in London now day's you just have to keep your eye's open to what is going on around you.
Sunday 4 September 2005 7.53pm
I think the Walworth Road can only get better, East Street market is the greatest and those small streets have some cute houses. Yes, London can be dodgy and you just have to keep your eyes peeled. It isnt the most.... er....ELEGANT part of town, but that's why we all love it. And whatever you're paying for your flat, you'll be paying a hell of a lot less that if it were in Kensington. Besides...you've got US!
Monday 5 September 2005 8.02pm
I would just like to reiterate what others have said. As long as you are sensible Walworth is just as safe as many of the so called safe areas of London. Also your half hour from the city or the west end by bus (No need to go on the expensive and to some scary underground..I hate the underground)

Enjoy living in our locality.
Wednesday 7 September 2005 9.53am
We live very near there (with our two young children). Like everyone has said, you need to be aware, but bad things can happen anywhere around London. We also have met so many great people around here and our daughter is about to start at the local school. We love it here!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: