The Founders Arms

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 7 September 2005 8.14pm
Hi can anyone tell me whether children are welcome in the dining area of the founders arms?

Friends of mine are travelling up to London they want to go on the Frog tour bus thing, then into the aquarium and then walk up the river to Tower bridge stopping for Lunch on the way (The friend particularly mentioned The Founders arms) but if anyone knows better places (Must be a pub apparently! Couple from NZ with them)

Any suggestions welcome as to ideas what could complete there day to.

Thanks Diane x
Wednesday 7 September 2005 11.16pm
You'll get a good reception during the day.
Thursday 8 September 2005 5.10pm
We tried (admittedly a few years ago) to eat there with a child and we were asked to leave the building itself but we were told we could eat outside. It may have relaxed the rules by now and allow kids to eat inside - otherwise pray for a sunny day!

Further along the river there are a few licensed eateries by the Globe; then there is the Anchor Inn (again does food, not sure of its childfriendliness) and has a good space outside; the Old Thameside Inn is the next one (by St Mary's Overie dock), again space outside for a nice day and I think this is quite a child friendly place). By Southwark Cathedral there is the Mudlark and further along by Hays Galleria there's the Hornimann - this also does food and has outside seating. Just past Tower Bridge there are a whole load of bars and eateries - Ask and Browns serve drinks and are very child friendly and have enclosed outside spaces on the river.

As far as more stuff to do check out
Thursday 8 September 2005 5.22pm
Or all the places on Gabriel's Wharf. Studio 6 pretty much counts as a pub, doesn't it?

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 10 September 2005 4.46pm
Thanks for all the helpful replies. :)
Wednesday 14 September 2005 10.46am
There are all the new eateries on the river side of the Royal Festival Hall which are all children friendly.

The fast paced and very popular noodle bar offers freshly cooked Japanese style noodle and rice dishes in a sleek, minimalist designed restaurant, the canteen-style seating and open-plan kitchen make up the lively and informal atmosphere.

Strada offers local neighbourhood dining with a superb Italian menu including fantastic up-market pizzas. Quality and fresh seasonal ingredients make Strada a popular destination for friends and family.

At the award winning family friendly Giraffe restaurant, visitors will enjoy global food with world music morning, noon and night. Everything from mezzes to stir fries, fresh grilled fish, delicious burgers and skewers all finished off with scrumptious desserts. Giraffe's unique and laid back atmosphere guarantees to make you feel good.

All quotes are from the website. I've eaten at all three and all very good and value for money. I haven't been to the Founders Arms in ages but the food was good there so give them a call!

Thursday 15 September 2005 8.23am
Is it just me or does anyone else find the Founders Arms annoying? We once went in then looking to order coffee, drinks and some food and had to go to three different counters to do so! We now joke that to get a gin and tonic one would have to go to the glass counter, the ice counter, the gin counter, the tonic counter and maybe the lemon/lime slice counter.
Thursday 15 September 2005 11.59am
I had a similar experience to Zappomatic.

Great location if you can get a seat outside on a nice day - but brush up on your project management skills to carefully time your order at each counter, otherwise the group will be drinking coffee washed down with beers and followed up with food.

I haven't been for at least a year so it may have changed......

As for the children question - I'm sure there's a sign saying no children after 9pm.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: