Burnt work top

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 9 September 2005 1.28pm
Hi guys
I've had a little accident with my beech/laminate counters I took a hot metal coffee pot off the hob and put it down on the counter....
It has left a round ring, not black but just a darker colour than the rest of the counter.
I've tried Jif etc but it wont shift and looks a mess.
Anyone got any ideas?
I spoke to my kitchen fitter and he said that it shouldnt really have marked if it was less than boiling....
Also, anyone got any recommendations for a good, reliable local handyman- I've got a few things need sorting out.
Friday 9 September 2005 4.13pm
I seem to remember a similar thread from before, perhaps you can find it.

I had just the same thing, lodger with hot coffee maker. It produced a dark brown ring that would not come off with various cleaning procedures. I have now nearly got rid of it by very, very carefully scraping away the darkened, more crumbly damaged area with a scalpel, leaving an almost invisible ring the same colour as the rest of the surface but with a more matt texture.

Good luck!
Friday 9 September 2005 4.34pm
you could try sanding the area and then repolishing (waxing, oiling - whatever) afterwards.
Friday 9 September 2005 4.36pm
I knew the forum's resident handyman (Jon R) would be onto this thread like a (mop, bucket, and some) Flash.

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 10 September 2005 7.07am
Oh dear Sarah, silly billy, but those wooden tops are vulnerable...I think you will find that "patch polishing" will look just that. If I were you I'd live with the mark and realise you'll have some history in your home...kind of nice!
Saturday 10 September 2005 1.20pm
I agree - when I notice the mark on my worktop I remember the deliciously wonderful coffee that my lodger used to make.
Sunday 11 September 2005 12.07pm
Ivanhoe - have you seen our finished kitchen yet?
it looks great, and we've built units in our lounge as well since,
..... although the coffee table does have some large saw marks in it.
Sunday 11 September 2005 6.58pm
So now that you have a kitchen are we invited for CHIPS?? Or are you going to bring them to our firework party?
Sunday 11 September 2005 9.59pm
There's a product called Ring Away - a cream in a small tube - that removes heat- and water-marks on wood.
Monday 12 September 2005 9.28am
Never found Ringaway did much good.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: