Advertising in the sky over London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 9 September 2005 12.56pm
Hi

yesterday evening circa 6-6.30 a helicopter was flying around the E&C, Waterloo areas and Waterloo. It was hauling a massive ad behind it, which I think was an ad for Quantas airlines.

Did anyone else see this and can you confirm what the ad was for?

Ta

easyrecall
Friday 9 September 2005 12.57pm
I saw it over Clerkenwell, and it was for Qantas; they're having a sale.
Friday 9 September 2005 1.10pm
seems to be a new thing as the evening prior to this was advetising the MTV awards
Friday 9 September 2005 1.11pm
Thanks LMJJ

I thought it was disgraceful and it seems farcical that a company should be permitted to cause air pollution, noise pollution and visual pollution in this city, when so much of our money is being spent by the Mayor encouraging the inhabitants to do the opposite i.e. to embrace enviromentally friendly modes of transport such as walking, cycling, and public transport.

I know its the CAA who control the airspace but I'm going to invite Ken to ask Qantas for an apology!

Friday 9 September 2005 1.15pm
??! It's just an advert.....!
Friday 9 September 2005 1.23pm
Here's one I saw back in April:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/blog/2005/04/spotted-in-skies-above-se1.html

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 9 September 2005 1.26pm
It's to do with the Ashes, isn't it? They fly over the cricket ground too.

The Michelob one was spotted in Docklands just last weekend.
Friday 9 September 2005 1.27pm
Its 45 mins of helicopter noise, a blot on the beautiful skyline of London I could otherwise have enjoyed, and the further erosion of any sense of the individual as a human being rather than a consumer.

If someone stood outside your flat with a loudspeaker screaming "BUY TICKETS FROM QUANTAS BUY TICKETS FROM QUANTAS BUY TICKETS FROM QUANTAS BUY TICKETS FROM QUANTAS BUY TICKETS FROM QUANTAS " for an hour...........well, it'd only be an ad, wouldn't it? Or might one feel differently if it were personal as opposed to collective? I think of myself as living in this city and don't want to see its sky turned over to commercial interests.
Friday 9 September 2005 1.37pm
Surely it's been going on for years, with ad-covered airships and the like?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 9 September 2005 1.48pm
Probably has, but yesterday was the first time I really noticed it because it was so loud. Also, as i walk home it was persistant - they probably get a licence to do it on the basis that they dont stay in one place for too long.

But two things struck me.

Firstly it is just ludicrous when you think of all the tv ads trying to get people to cycle (I have no objection to cyclists towing ads - and Ive certainly seen that before).

Secondly, post 07/07 lots of people I work with remarked on how they felt dogged by the sound of sirens and helicopters working overtime (anyone living near the E&C will know what I mean). Personnaly I don't flutter my heart at the sound of a helicopter (I assume its a member of the royal family making their way from Buckingham palace to the South Bank) but I'm sick of hearing the things, its excessive.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: