Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 20
Thursday 22 September 2005 8.10am
There is a meeting next wednesday to discuss the demolition of Driscoll House and the erection of ' 91 affordable flats for key workers ' etc. Has any one else heard of this? we have just received a letter about it. If all the new residents have cars where would they park for a start. Why are they considering pulling down a building which is servicable and has so much history attached. It used to be a hostel for young ladies.

Is this building listed? The organisation which wants to be build the properties is the Uijima Housing association . I'm rambling again! :-)
Thursday 22 September 2005 8.40am
I have always been intrigued by the building, although I must admit it does look like a set of a bad horror movie. Still its a fine edifice and shouldn't be knocked down, as it one of only a few buildings of character on the NKR. Has anyone stayed there?
Thursday 22 September 2005 11.02am
In the book, "Do Not Pass Go" by Tim Moore, he visits all the Monopoly Squares in London and writes about what he finds. He attempts to stay in the Driscoll House Hotel in his Old Kent Road section, but is turned away by a Mr Terence Driscoll because it is a hostel for foreign students.

According to the book, it has 200 rooms, 8 pianos and "during the past 80 years, 50,000 guests have stayed from 210 different countries."

It is certainly the most striking building on the NKR - would be a shame to lose it, given that much of the NKR will be transformed as part of the Elephant rebuild.

Could it not be refurbished as student halls by one of the local colleges?

Thursday 22 September 2005 12.11pm
I would be a scandal if that building is demolished. In a neighbourhood that suffered a lot during the war and in the 50's and 60's from bad taste, we should keep as many of those beautiful old buildings.

Driscoll House to stay!
Thursday 22 September 2005 12.21pm
why can't they convert the exsisting building into flats if they must go ahead with this scheme-they seem to manage to do this quite well in other places eg the Hartley factory

on the car parking that is not considered to be an issue nowdays as I gather Ken has decided people that live in central London do not need cars so parking for new developments is not a big concern.
Thursday 22 September 2005 12.38pm
I have just looked at a web site for Ujima Housing and followed one link which described them as receiving 45.414 Million in the next two years for housing in London...397 homes to be built in total, being one dumb clock I can't calculate the cost of each home!

The Ujima housing only rehouse the black and ethnic minority communities, I am always puzzled as to how in this day and age of anti-discrimination they can get away with it, surely it just creates ghettos? even one that cost 45.414 million!

That issue aside I hope as many people as possible attend this meeting to make their feelings known. It is a lovely buiilding and should remain as it is, I can't for the life of me remember what it used to be called when it accomodated ladies only..
Thursday 22 September 2005 12.48pm
About 115,000 per home, Jan.
Thursday 22 September 2005 12.49pm
where is the meeting being held and what time?
Thursday 22 September 2005 1.02pm
Thank you Siduhe, DeeDee I shall post it when I get home tonight..:-) I think it was the 27th sept.at Crossways in New Kent Road...
Thursday 22 September 2005 1.05pm
Fight fight my children, I wish you luck, our fruitless fight against St George ruining our Metro Central complex has made me VERY sceptical as to whether there is anything one can do against what will finally be our hero, Mr. Prescott...he will scotch any reason or sentiment, he will condone any outrage, in order to bump up his precious housing figures.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: