Driscoll House, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 17 of 20
JohnBoy49 Tuesday 24 April 2012 11.52am
I saw the scaffolding going up on the building this morning.

I was wondering if anyone knew, has a decision been made on what to do with Driscoll House?
james127 Tuesday 24 April 2012 2.56pm
Probably the best thing that could happen to this building is that it would be turned into flats. Yes, I said that.
Auntie Pat Tuesday 24 April 2012 5.32pm
There have been workmen in there for a few weeks now. Is it listed? I can't remember.
Lang Rabbie Tuesday 24 April 2012 10.53pm
Auntie Pat wrote:
There have been workmen in there for a few weeks now. Is it listed? I can't remember.

Yes, it is listed, but Southwark have given listed building consent for quite a lot of the building to go.
james127 Wednesday 25 April 2012 12.19am
It's really a nice building -- and the rowhouses in front of it are lovely as well. If only that hideous flyover and equally hideous subway in front of this part of the road were gone, I think you'd see this part of NKR (the Driscoll House/rowhouses on right side and the rowhouses on the left side) develop very nicely.

Right now, it's impossible. Unless you want to smell poop and pee in the subway, you can't cross the Berlin Wall of NKR.
longlaner Thursday 26 April 2012 9.02am
Capitalizing "Subway" suggests it's the sandwich shop rather than a tunnel for pedestrians.
James Hatts Thursday 26 April 2012 9.32am
longlaner - I've tweaked the auto-link function so that use of the word subway is no longer linked to the restaurant section.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
NeilCoyle Wednesday 2 May 2012 7.28am
A lift is being put in and other internal refurbishment to make the grade II listed building usable again as a hostel; see: http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9543998 for full planning info.
James Hatts Wednesday 8 August 2012 3.25pm
Just had word to say that Driscoll House will reopen as Rest Up London in the next few weeks: http://restuplondon.com

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
acme Wednesday 8 August 2012 4.12pm
Thank you so much for the heads up, I would love to stay there on my next trip to London. I'm really curious to see the changes for myself.
Current: 17 of 20

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions