fireworks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 13 September 2001 12.00pm
While deeply sorry about the reason -- the tragedy in America -- I welcome the cancellation of the fireworks' display planned to open the Southwark Festival. In this country traditionally we used to have fireworks once a year; now it is every weekend, high day and holiday and, thoughout the summer, often every night. New fireworks are so explosive, I think they should come under the title of of ordnance and should be banned. They are dangerous, a form of noise pollution, are very antisocial and are frightening to animals. The frequency of firework events, even private ones, whose noise can be heard for several miles, should be made illegal.
James
Thursday 13 September 2001 12.04pm
Just to clarify - the fireworks were part of the Thames Festival, not the Southwark Festival

James
Friday 14 September 2001 3.35pm
I can live with the noise of fireworks, but I think it is very insensitive of the organisers to start a display with a huge bang- my first thought is always that there has been a bomb blast. This must be particularly diffucult for people who have lived in war zones, including London in the blitz.
Wednesday 19 September 2001 4.44pm
Was the display cancelled or postponed. Is it going to be run on another occasion ?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: