Nice Places for Saturday Lunch

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 29 October 2002 10.20am
Hi there.

I was mega impressed with Tas, but I can't keep going there for excellent food and service. Anyone know of a place on the same bar as Tas in terms of value for money, ambiance and service? Looking at about 10 for lunch.

Monday 4 November 2002 9.27am
How about the new Tas opposite the Globe!?

I've just read a rave review in Time Out about a place called El Vergel on Lant Street, but don't know what it's like. Mexican, Cuban etc.

For Chinese try Ling Hoon, Hoon Ling or something on Borough High Street, next to Belushi's. Amongst the best Chinese I've ever had, but best as a takeaway rather than an eat-in, as the ambience needs some work.

Great food and setting also at Jerwood Cafe, Union Street. The staff are muppets, though.
Monday 4 November 2002 9.35am
For more on the new Tas Pide in New Globe Walk see

I thought El Vergel was Chilean rather than Mexican/Cuban - see (I think it's only open weekdays though, so may not fit the bill for Saturday lunch)
Monday 4 November 2002 4.56pm
El Vergel is indeed delicious, unfortunately for residents who work Mon-Fri 9-5, because it's only open when we're out....

but if you ever have a day off i would recommend it!
Tuesday 5 November 2002 2.47pm

El Vergel does do really delicious grub and it is a shame it isn't open longer hours...

Some other suggestions...

The caff at the Tate Modern does a lunch for the same price as Taz - although i hate the fact that you can't get coffee and cake there after about 12.00.

Bankside Restaurant does a lunch menu thingy - not sure if open on saturday.

You could always buy some food from the Borough Market and eat a picnic. I think the Falafel is the best in London.

Cheaper is La Palma on Union St. is a Italian caff/greasy spoon which is open until the weekday afternoons and I think it is also open on Saturday until about 12.30 or 1.00.

Or there are a bunch of places on the Cut.

Actually when i started typing this I thought there would be more places - seems like we are a bit thin on the ground. Hope helpful anyway.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: