Looking for a gym

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 28 September 2005 10.23pm
Dear everyone,

I have just recently moved to London to study and I really like training in a gym. So I would like to do some weight-lifting and gym training to work out. I live at Sumner Street. I am looking for a good gym, but I would like it to be inexpensive as well. Could someone please give me advice where I can find a good gym that is near me!?

Many thanks in advance,

Seppo
Thursday 29 September 2005 4.58pm
There's a couple of boxing gyms around if you fancy something different - CityBoxer is based in the railway arches off Great Suffolk St behind Union Street. You don't have to box anyone unless you want to, but can learn the art, it's great fitness of course and they offer personal training sessions or you can just go and do your own thing. It cost 50 per month so not cheap as such but I think it's excellent conditioning training. I'm a member of the gym btw but have affiliation other than that.

For other alternatives try the usual gym chains, a quick google will give you all the local options.

If you're associated with the hospitals, they have their own gym.

There's also previous threads on the subject - you can search this site.
Friday 30 September 2005 12.31am
Stíofán, thank you for this! So you are saying I can do just the basic weight training there as well although it's a boxing gym. That's good news! I've tried google already, but it did not really find any good options, not at least ones near to me...unfortunately Iäm not associated to hospitals Iäm afraid, but I will try the search function on the site (always forget it!).

Many thanks, highly appreciate it!
Friday 30 September 2005 12.40am
See also http://www.london-se1.co.uk/health/clubs.html

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 30 September 2005 9.23am
funkson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>So you are saying I
> can do just the basic weight training there as
> well although it's a boxing gym.

Yes you can. If you PM me I'll give you contact details and see if I can't get you some sort of introductory offer (can't promise but can try!).

Friday 30 September 2005 10.09am
Thanks guys! This is getting better all the time. :-) Stíofán, check you PM's.
Friday 30 September 2005 4.01pm
I can really recommend Fusion Leisure centre at the Elephand & Castle. It is only GBP32 per month for unlimited access.

The staff are friendly and the equipment acceptable. They do not have top of the rage bells and whistles type of equipment, and give them there due do not charge an extortionate fee as though they did.

The downside is that the place is looking tired, and the smell coming from the mens showers is something else. It could also be cleaned much better than it is.

Having said all that I am happy there as any poseurs that go there are in the minority.

Give it atry.

Regards,

Alex

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: