Planting trees

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 2 October 2005 4.01pm
Does anybody have any experience of ordering/planting trees in a Bermondsey garden? What varieties are typical of the area and where is a good garden centre to get them from?

Thanks,

Chris.
Sunday 2 October 2005 4.52pm
There's a couple of good threads on garden centres in the area already. The search function is a great way to find out if the question you're interested in has already been covered...afraid I have no idea which would be best for trees, but would second the recommendation for Roots and Shoots for general plants.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/34629
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/13534
Monday 3 October 2005 11.42am
carmenes82 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anybody have any experience of
> ordering/planting trees in a Bermondsey garden?
> What varieties are typical of the area and where
> is a good garden centre to get them from?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris.
>

Can I recommend the Trees for Free scheme operated through Southwark council - it was featured on a previous thread but the easiest way to access them is through the southwark website www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/environment/Trees/FreeTrees.html

the folks there are really knowledgeable - and if you give them a run down of the type of soil, location, exposure, extent of maintenance you're interested in etc they'll help you pick out something appropriate (and yes, you can still get at least one shrub or tree free!)

Monday 3 October 2005 12.36pm
Can I recommend apples? If you get an apple tree, I'll come and help you plant it (if you need help).

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 3 October 2005 4.24pm
Thanks to everybody for their typically insightful replies.

- free tree initiative is brilliant - you get the first free and can buy any more you need at 1/tree.
- apple trees have always had an appeal - what sort would grow well? Do they require lots of maintenance? Appreciate the offer of help; plenty of free apples if I take you up on the offer :)

Cheers,

Chris.
Tuesday 4 October 2005 6.35am
Ivanhoe, if you plant enough apple trees around SE1 ... maybe you'd have your orchard ...
Tuesday 4 October 2005 9.08am
Julie, there's a big apple tree in Falmouth Road that's full of fruit now. Mrs I's quite keen on pressing a gallon. I suggested that (assuming the fruit is eating or cooking fruit) we'd do well if we could add a bit of crab apple juice to it, so keep your eyes out for a local crab would you.

Carmenes, I don't think they need much more care than any tree. I'm serious about the offer of help if you like. Just pm me.

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: