New flat monstrosities

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 5 October 2005 10.14am
I have been reading the stuff about Driscoll House with interest and agree that it would be a rotten shame to pull it down and put some abysmal new flats in it's place. Though I think some modern architecture is brilliant, some of it is the pits. Have you seen the new flats on Waterloo Road next door to the hostel for homeless women? They are built on a site that used to be occupied by a petrol station. I have no idea what they are like on the inside but God they are totally ugly, uninspired and 'Eastern bloc-ish' on the outside. Who on earth granted permission for these? - And they cost a bomb! Incidentally (I know that it's not SE1) who in their right mind is going to pay a quarter of a million for those green monstrosities at the Elephant end of Walworth Road? They all have balconies with an unremitting view of the Shell petrol station! SE1 and SE11 are packed with wonderful historic buildings being allowed to rot - the lovely terrace on London Road being a prime example. Surely people want REAL homes and flats instead of concrete rabbit hutches that will be pulled down in about thirty years? Citizens arise and fight the never ending descent into the mediocre and the mundane!
Wednesday 5 October 2005 10.34am
I often wonder where the designers live who create these soul less schemes..or if they have children. Driscoll House as it stands is infinitely more preferable than the new proposed development. The builders, Oracle Homes offices are really beautiful, looking georgian ...why dont they pull them down instead? simple because they dont want to live in the conditions they create.

I have not seen the waterloo buildings...
Sunday 9 October 2005 12.16am
Wait until you see the flats Hyde are putting up opposite St James' church by Spa Road. It's a 12 floor mulitstory carpark lookalike which is so close to the road they are cutting the trees down because there is only a few feet between the vast building and the road. Walking down Spa Road is going to like being at the bottom of a canyon.
Monday 10 October 2005 4.10pm
totally agree about the E&C monstrosities on the Walworth Road. I think they start at 275,000 or something but I have the suspicion they will find very few takers as you can find a lovely period place around there for far less. Who's going to want to sit on the balconies they are building and look out over the kwik-fit and burger king?!!
Monday 10 October 2005 4.52pm
Don't you understand? Don't you read the adverts?

These are LUXURY, architect-designed (as opposed to what, I don't know), modern living spaces.

Pls get back on message ASAP (or move to somewhere less cool, where people live in houses). With comments like this, it's clear you do not deserve to have The Garrison on your doorstep.

[Tongue Very Firmly In Cheek, etc]

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 10 October 2005 8.08pm
Well the Evening Standard gave them the thumbs up ...

not that I would lower myself to buy the Evening Standard, it caught my eye on someone's desk (The Developers partner).
Monday 10 October 2005 9.38pm
Ivanhoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't you understand? Don't you read the
> adverts?
>
> These are LUXURY, architect-designed (as opposed
> to what, I don't know), modern living spaces.

Luxury is so over ...

In our part of SE1 we have some "meticulously-designed" apartments to look forward to ...

As opposed to all the others that are so obviously just thrown together

We should raise a glass to the kindly developer who is bringing some order into all this chaos

Tuesday 11 October 2005 6.59am
I love that phrase Julie ' meticulously designed' does that mean a kitchen so small that you can cook, turn around and wash up in the sink behind you?

I went to see my friends new flat, whoops sorry ...apartment, I commented on how tiny the kitchen was...she sniffily said it's a new galley kitchen, I though they only had them on board I told her.. when I bent down to look at her new oven my bum was squashed against the cupboard opposite! obviously designers have size eight bodies...
Tuesday 11 October 2005 7.31am
I really like the ones on Waterloo Road! Did you prefer the petrol station? At least its not another Berkeley homes Georgian pastiche. Still, they got snapped up in no time, so I am not alone...
Tuesday 11 October 2005 11.04am
Ivanhoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> move to somewhere
> less cool, where people live in houses
>

Like SE1, then?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: