Looking for after school help

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 8 October 2005 9.17pm
Does anybody know a reliable responsible and enthusiastic person who could collect my kids from the local school - Bermondsey/ Grange area - and look after them in my home til I get back from college? Suggestions appreciated

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 8 October 2005 9.20pm by Kath.
Sunday 9 October 2005 8.45pm
HI,
You could contact southwark council or look on their website as they have a list of registered chilminders in your area.
You can get help to pay their fee by tax child credit if you are eligible.
Good luck
Nathx
Monday 10 October 2005 8.58am
Worth asking teaching assistants at their school. Quite often someoen wants to earn some extra. There is also afterschool care based in Coin Street, but don't know which schools they collect from.
Monday 10 October 2005 11.23am
Sarah2 and Nath thanks very much for your input.

I have tried the Southwark site and and childminders . The problem is they want to have children within their homes and then charge per child.
3x childcare is expensive and as I am a postgraduate student I will get no help.
Unfortunately Coin St is too far away.
We do have a local after school club which we tried for a while but it is such poor quality care I'm very reluctant to send the kids back there.
I shall keep looking! Many thanks Kath
Monday 10 October 2005 12.04pm
If you have space an aupair is the solution. I know what you mean about after school care. We have bought some very poor quality holiday care. And with more than one kid, costs do add up.

The solution is, if you have space, is an aupair. We had a phenominally good one, then a sulky slav. She went of her own accord and we are about to get a fully qualified secondary school teacher, who wants to spend a gap year in London before seeking work back home. (And cousin to the first.) The deal we offer, probably like you, is attractive as we really don't need any care before school closing, except in the holidays, and thereby leaving lots of time to study English, and see the city. Plus we are in central London. The drawback is that our kids are still sharing a room. My husband worried about sharing our house, but the truth has been that having a likeable young person in our house has not been a problem at all.

It has been brilliant to get home to see the kids and au pair playing scrabble, making flap-jacks or whatever. It has reduced the stress completely.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: